Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
250 miles and I've got a question...

So, I'm a new rider and I have about 250 miles under my belt. I'm finding that I'm already quite comfortable riding on the roads, and I'm not hesitant at all to make my 50 mile round trip to the "city" for class. Now, this admittedly seems odd to me, because I feel as if I shouldn't be ready for this yet. However, I feel fairly confident in my riding skills so far.

So, my question is, is this just my "I'm young and invincible" feeling (which I don't believe I have) or is it possible that I've actually caught on quickly enough to feel comfortable with my 50 mile round trip commute?

I feel like I've made some good habits: I almost always flash my brakes before I stop (only time I don't is when I don't have time to) and when I'm stopped I always watch my mirrors and flash my brakes as someone approaches from behind. So far I haven't had any issues with people approaching too quickly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
LilNinja77

With only 250 miles, my bet is that you also haven't had chance to experience all of the butt-puckering moments than come with riding in traffic with complete idiots. That feeling of everything being ok is likely because everything you've experienced on the bike so far has been fairly positive (this is just a guess)...which is a good thing. The key is just not to let your guard down and end up getting hurt. Enjoy the ride, but be safe. Don't worry, the first time you encounter a drunk driver, or a car sliding in the rain...........the happy fuzzy feeling will quickly be replaced with pure adrenaline.......hell, I was almost taken out by a cop once while travelling 65 mph on the highway, needless to say I gave him a few choice hand gestures.
Have fun, and hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
primal

Yea, I figured as much. I was just concerned that I might be feeling a bit TOO confident, even with my positive experience so far.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
LilNinja77

Well, you're really the only one who can answer that question. We are all guilty of getting overly-comfortable at times, it's just natural......but you learn to fight it and keep your guard up. It's good not to be terrified, but a certain degree of healthy fear and respect can go a long way towards keeping you safe. It sounds like you have your head on straight and are trying to stay healthy and safe while riding....just don't get so comfortable that you start "lazy riding", other than that I wouldn't worry about it.
Ride safe

Old 07-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Sarris

Hand Signals

Ahh.... the Grecian hand signal of brotherly love. Definitely right up there with hand turn signals.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, I really do use hand turn signals in traffic as well as flashing my brake lights. The buttholes in the cages always tailgate here in Florida, so I try to make them see me by waving my arm when I turn. I've only been clanged once in 35 years of riding and it cost me a totaled $20k motorcycle as well as a crushed right foot and ankle (now featuring miscellaneous metal pieces and screws) as well as 6 months in a wheel chair. I damn sure don't want it to, and do my best to, keep it from happening again. I also yell at the idiots who don't stop at stop signs and refuse to use their turnsignals. I've also been known to pull up next to a cage and ask the driver if his turn signals are "broken". When they tailgate me, I slow down, turn around and look at them with a pissed off face (if I can do it safely) and point at them. They usually get the hint.

Since I'm 6'-1" and about 300 lbs I look fairly big and intimidating when I'm on my big Harley, but the buttholes tend to ignore you when you're on a GZ, so MAKE DAMN SURE THEY SEE YOU. Those hand signals and that yelling could save your ass. Better safe than sorry!!!

One other thing, NEVER NEVER speed weave through traffic. It's a quick way to die. When a sport biker dies doing the weave or high speed wheelies, the cops here call it "Suicide by Motorcycle". So please be safe and careful.

Just the opinion of another old fart.

Sarris

:2tup:

Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
primal

I'm definitely NOT someone who would even want to try to "speed weave." I'm not daring like that in my car, and I'm certainly not going to be that daring on my bike. I get annoyed with most sport bike riders around here (you know the ones... the guys wearing t-shirts and sandles).

I'll have to try giving tailgaters the stink-eye, though I'm not sure how easy that will be with my full-face (modular) helmet...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
You can do what my brother did, and put this $1 sticker on the back of your helmet. Then when they're tailgating you, just reach back and point at it.

Store link.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
LilNinja77

Quote:
I'll have to try giving tailgaters the stink-eye, though I'm not sure how easy that will be with my full-face (modular) helmet...
Don't worry, they know when you're shooting fire out of your eyes. Actually one of the reasons I love wearing a dark-smoke face shield, they can't see my face and don't know what kinds of hatred I'm spewing forth. :cuss: Still, if you've ever been driving and had someone with an all-blacked out helmet stare at you, there's something that is just creepy about not being able to see their face or eyes.......I love it :tongue:
Ride safe

Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Re: 250 miles and I've got a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
So, my question is, is this just my "I'm young and invincible" feeling (which I don't believe I have) or is it possible that I've actually caught on quickly enough to feel comfortable with my 50 mile round trip commute?
Feeling comfortable and being competent are often two different things.

Few people have a real ability to judge themselves objectively.

As long as comfortable doesn't really mean complacent, then you'll probably be OK.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
primal

Definitely not complacent. I may not be able to judge myself objectively (as you noted, most people can't), but I KNOW I'm not being complacent. I'm plenty nervous and cautious about what other cars are doing, especially at intersections and multi-lane roads, but not so much so that I'm uncomfortable with it.

It may also help that, even in my car, I take the scenic route to avoid as much traffic as possible.