Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
GZ250

Visiting a Dealer

Many will know who have been in this for a long time, Especially for new commers and those you have less idea about machines. When you go to a dealership always do some research for the 'problem' you want them to fix and for the general tune up ask specifically what they will do and what are the charges. Someone recently mentioned that he paid $295 for 600 miles servive. Its a BIG rip off I would say. You need to find a honest dealership who should suggest you what really is needed (replacement, fixing or etc etc).

I went to a dealership and the guy told me that sprokets (front and back) and the chain should be replaced. The dealership where I go told me nothing needs a change and now after 15000 miles they just replaced the chain and told me that if I am a bit more careful and oil my chain more regularly I can do better on miles.

The dealership from where I bought the bike has a commercial look, big show room and their service dept rips off so I don't go to them. The guy charged me $80 saying that he had to clean some oil from the box where the air filter sits. I got mad and talked to one higher up and then they reduced the charges.

So please be careful with dealerships and if you regularly change the oil and filter as prescribed (no need of synthetic oil either for GZ250), replace spark plug once a year and clean occassionaly if needed and air filter once every 2 years you are good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Visiting a Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
So please be careful with dealerships and if you regularly change the oil and filter as prescribed (no need of synthetic oil either for GZ250), replace spark plug once a year and clean occassionaly if needed and air filter once every 2 years you are good.
Good post. Some places will rip you off.

There is no NEED for synthetic oil in ANYTHING but some of us prefer it.
As for plug and air filter, many who don't ride a lot of miles in a year, say 3000 or less, certainly don't need to change the plug or the air filter every 2 years unless they ride in dusty conditions a lot.

My advise: Follow the book........now maybe I should go look at it! :roll:
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
bigwonton

You definitely have to be wary of dealers and what they will try to pull - both motorcycle and car.

I would somewhat disagree on the synthetic oil as I have found smoother shifting when I switched to the synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oil.

As for the plugs, I would at least back it out and put anti-sieze on the threads and use some dielectric grease. Makes dealing with it later on a whole lot easier.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Gaugdog

Can someone tell me what they actually DO at the 600 mile service. I've been wondering about this myself since my bike just rolled over 600 miles this weekend. They tell you they do some fine tuning and other enigmatic "procedures". What I'm wondering, is if they just change the oil and charge you $200. If it's something simple I can do that myself.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugdog
Can someone tell me what they actually DO at the 600 mile service. I've been wondering about this myself since my bike just rolled over 600 miles this weekend. They tell you they do some fine tuning and other enigmatic "procedures". What I'm wondering, is if they just change the oil and charge you $200. If it's something simple I can do that myself.
I haven't had it done (bought mine with like 2000 miles on it), but I'd assume it's an oil and filter change as well as valve adjustment and a good once-over for loose screws/bolts and a check for fluid leaks. What's gonna cost you is the labor, since it's probably a good hour or two procedure in a professional garage. If you're good with a wrench, you could probably do it all yourself for $50 and three or four hours of labor.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugdog
They tell you they do some fine tuning and other enigmatic "procedures". What I'm wondering, is if they just change the oil and charge you $200.
If they actually tell you that, find a different dealer.

$200 isn't bad ***IF*** they actually DO what they are supposed to do.
Oil and filter.
Check valves (they seldom actually need adjustment)
Lube cables
Check nuts and bolts.
The user's manual, service check list should spell it out pretty good.

Checking the valves is a little tricky but all the rest you COULD do yourself.
I always let the dealer do the first service, for piece of mind and warranty validation.
After that (unless it has a major problem), the dealer never sees it again. Mmmmm......not totally true 'cause I don't do my own tires or chains.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Sarris

Dealer Screwing

We call our dealer the "Suckyuki" dealer. I suggest you get the 600 done to validate your warranty. Then never return.

There is a reason why the circumference of your ankles is smaller than the grip of your hands...........

I would be funny if not so true!

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
GZ250

You bye a new bike, if its yours second or third than you will know much about everything. Only difference is that heavier bikes are more complicated and need more attention and more oild and parts need to be checked, replaced or changed.

For GZ250, its the simplest of all. The more you do is your own choice, if you keep it to bare minimum it is equally good. When you complete the 600 miles and take it to dealership what they should do is change oil and filter and check the valves. This is the part that needs time and should cost around $150 or so. If anyone is asking more its not good. I paid the same because I had no idea about what valve adjustment is and I did not want the dealership to say afterwards that I did not have my valves adjusted. After that I never had my vales adjusted because it is going ok and I never hear any sound (15000 miles on 05). I ocassionally use (2-3 times a year) the carb and inhector cleaner with gas. I buy the suzuki brand and use that bottle three times. Do not add all at once becaue its is a lot for 3 g tank (i think). Keep an eye on the oil and lube the chain.

If you have adea about valve adjustment than I would say even the first time you do not need valve adjustment. Some guys on this forum do on their own but I never dared. So be sure the dealership does valve adjustment when they charge for that because its the thing that you can't see and feel (if you are not having any issue).
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
After that I never had my vales adjusted because it is going ok and I never hear any sound (15000 miles on 05).
You will not always "hear" anything when a valve is out of adjustment.
One that is too tight will not make noise and can BURN the valve so that it can't be adjusted and will leak.

You might get lucky and not have trouble if you NEVER check them again but I think that 2X the recommended miles is as long as you should stretch it...........and I'm pretty sure that 15,000 miles is WAY over due.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
Badbob

Valve get tighter as they wear. Tighter equals quieter. I'd rather hear them tick a little than not hear anything.

The 600 mile service is in the manual. There isn't much to it but you do need a torque wrench and some valve adjustment tools.

I've don all my on service and repairs since day one when I picked up the bike they told me it was $250 for the 600 mile service and I never went back. I really don't trust anyone to service it but me.