Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Monkey Fist

Louisiana n00b

I recently decided to get a bike for commuter purposes (20 mi round trip) and in doing my research I came across this forum. Any hesitations I had about this bike were gone after reading some of the posts here. I bought my gz five days ago and have been on it every day since. It's not the first bike I have owned ( the last being an 83 Honda Night Hawk 650 ) but that was over a decade ago and I haven't ridden since. Feels great to be on two wheels again. I have already ordered a 16T front sprocket ( should be in by next week)and look forward to using the great tutorials to put it on.

Thank you everyone for making choosing this bike an easy decision. I look forward to many miles ahead.

:2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

We're glad you're here.

There are a few people who don't care for the 16T sprocket but everyone esle seems to like it. Just be aware that top speed will be limited to around 65. 70+/- max
Still, if you hate it, you're only out $20 and you can switch back to stock in about 20 minutes.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Monkey Fist

Duly noted. I think that for my needs (no more than 55/60mph mostly two lane and back roads) the 16t should improve the quality or feel of my ride (from what I have read). But you are correct it is a quick and inexpensive mod to reverse should I choose.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Fist
Duly noted. I think that for my needs (no more than 55/60mph mostly two lane and back roads) the 16t should improve the quality or feel of my ride (from what I have read). But you are correct it is a quick and inexpensive mod to reverse should I choose.
It definatley will suit your needs. As a matter of fact, it's just about perfect for what you want.

Also, if you need to get a little sporty, the increased time that you can spend in 3rd & 4th really let you ring it out through a turn.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
Monkey Fist

Hello Monkey Fist...fun name! I bet I know where you live....lol. I knew right away this was you by the name.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Sarris

Greetings

Welcome Brother. By the way, what the hell is a Monkey Fist?? I don't get the joke, and we all share knowledge here. :neener:
Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Littlethumper

Welcome on board Monkey Fist!?

:roll: Like what sarris said, i wanna know what does your alias mean,if you don't mind?
I guess its all about sharing here too huh :lol:

Drive safe...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Monkey Fist

According to Wikipedia
"A monkey fist' or monkey paw is a type of knot, so named because it looks somewhat like a small bunched fist/paw. It also looks somewhat like a volleyball or an older style football. It is tied at the end of a rope to serve as a weight, making it easier to throw the line, and also as an ornamental knot. It can also be used as a weapon or as a tool in rock climbing as an anchor, by stuffing it into a crack."

I used to be a "wire monkey" for a firm that installed home automation and security systems, you know climbing in rafters and through attics to run wire for alarms, telephone and cable. In some of the tighter spots you had to get creative as to how you got the wire from point A to point B hence the use of the monkey fist, one small line with a big knot or weight on the end to use as a pull line for the other larger CAT 5 and Coax runs. (The idea being that the less time I spent in the attic the better.)
My belief has always been "Work smart not hard":2tup:

So in answer to the question the Monkey Fist symbolizes creative and simple solutions to everyday problems using what is available to you.

I also worship Duct tape. O_o
Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Sarris

Monkey Fist

Cool!! I was afraid it had some weird sexual connotation.

LOL

Sarris

:lol:
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Monkey Fist

Nope, nothing that interesting Sarris.