Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
What camera do you carry when riding?

I am an avid photographer, and love nature, so riding my GZ around just seems to go right with it. The past few times I've been out riding, just for the heck of riding, I've taken my old Canon Powershot A40 with me. The 3MP, clunky camera is pretty heavy, thick and really hard to stuff into my jacket pocket without looking like I'm sporting a distinctly camera-shaped tumor. I have a K-M 7D digital SLR, but that is just not feasible for a ride unless I luggage rack it.

My question to the group is:

What kind of camera do you carry (or do you) when you ride? And what are some out there that you consider good riding cameras? Where do you stow them?

I've been looking into the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS Elph. A staggeringly small-frame camera with great features including full-manual and integrated Image Stabilization (good for vibrations). The price runs just over $200 - $215 at NewEgg.com. A bit more than I was going to spend, but it does have a lot of features I want - lightweight, thin, 4x optical zoom, movie mode, IS, fast focus, decent exposure...etc.

The other I was looking at was a Canon, the Powershot A570 IS. Mostly the same features, but cheaper by like $50.

Any ideas? What are your cameras/concerns?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I use my wife's Nikon (something)4500. It's fat but it also has pretty good zoom so it's nice. Like everything else, I just tote it in my trunk. I know that's not much help, but it's my contribution.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Sarris

Camera

I carry a Fuji Finepix A340. Now if I could just remember to use the damn thing...............

LOL :lol:

Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Got the SD1100 IS in from NewEgg.com today. I'll have pics in the Ride Reports forum in a bit.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
warlock2008

Re: What camera do you carry when riding?

Fujifilm 6500FD

Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Patrick,

I used to carry a Sony T7, which was about the size of a Razor cellphone and took pretty good pictures outdoors. I really liked the small size of it. Unfortunately, my daughter took it to Japan with her so I had to get another one. I thought I was buying a similar size when I picked out a Sony W300, but the new one is about the size of a pack of cigs. I haven't decided if the photos are better than the T7. The new one has some whack shit on it though - you can dial up a setting where it won't take the picture until the subject smiles (I am not kidding!) The default setting is 13.6 Megapixels, but I dumbed it down to something like 5 or 8. With an 8GB memory stick I can only take about 760 pictures.

On my last trip (REI, see ride reports) I got to the point where I could pull over, fish it out of my jacket breast pocket and snap a shot without removing my helmet or gloves. Still lack the stones to take a shot while the machine is moving.

I have an old Sony F717 at home that takes better pictures than any compact, but it's a pain to carry around. It compeletely bit the farm last year, but, it turns out this model had a defective CCD thigamabob and Sony basically sent me a new one for no charge.

-Alan.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
mr. softie

Just my two cents ---- :skull: I would NOT take photos while under way :skull:
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Just my two cents ---- :skull: I would NOT take photos while under way :skull:
I don't think anyone actually alluded to that.

:retard:
Old 09-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Believe it or not, i carry a Sony DSC H5 in my fork bag. It just barely fits ... but i get it in there. One of these days i am going to get myself a smaller camera just for the bike.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Still lack the stones to take a shot while the machine is moving.
Douchy McDouchbag here. 'Twas I that did the alludin'...