Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
winglem

Idles fine, but once revved stays revved

The throttle connection on the carburetor seems to return to normal. If I shut it off, it starts up fine and idles again. If I drive it and mechanically slow it down, then it stays down. Could it be the piston has gotten stuck? I removed the carb and attempted to clean it, but haven't done the Chem Dip thing yet. A gallon is $30. Would that likely fix it?

I feel like it is running lean when in this state. While at idle, it smokes some suggesting rich.

I tried spraying carb cleaner on the intake header but the idle didn't change.

I just added SeaFoam to the tank, we'll see if that helps.

Any tips appreciated and I promise to report results. At what point do I order a new carburetor? Is there a good aftermarket carb someone could point me to?

Year: 2002
Miles: 4200

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by winglem; 04-26-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added year and miles
Old 04-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
5th_bike

Sounds like idle is set too high. First, try with the white adjustment screw underneath the carb. Clockwise, seen from above, counterclockwise from below.

To set idle, just drive it until the engine is hot, 10 minutes or so, then set idle with the white screw. Don't set idle when cold, because it will afterwards rev like yours when the engine is hot.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
winglem

Thanks for the reply 5th_bike.

When I try to adjust the idle, it is revving high and I slowly turn it down. Suddenly it drops real low and sometimes dies. Once I have it low, if I rev it again, it stays high. It seems like there should be a sweet spot where it runs smooth, but not too high. I wonder if I'm doing it wrong... Here's a vid of me attempting the idle adjustment.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
winglem

Running much better now!

I adjusted the valves, that made it run a little better. Did a full carb cleaning using Chem Dip and an air compressor to blow out the holes. I also did the carb rebuild using the All Balls Racing 26-1659 Carburetor Rebuild Kit from Amazon. Now it idles and runs great. Looking forward to getting some miles under my belt on this machine. Thanks all for the help on this post and others I read.

Tags
carburetor high idle revs