Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
kinneyonwheels

Light Issues

I am new to this stuff and trying to first figure out which wiring diagram I need is a pain, then trying to read it is worse. I am not good at understanding the diagram. I am going to post some pictures of the wiring up front and see if some of you guys can point me in the right direction. All the lights are good, have been test by jumping across the battery. Problem is I can't figure out which wires hanging up fron at not powering my brake/tail lights or my signal lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Light Issues

First things first.. DO NOT start jumping wires. You may do more harm than good. Beg, borrow or buy a test light and a meter. Both are cheap items and worth their weight in gold when trouble shooting.
Go to the online owners manual and locate all the fuses in the bike. You should pull all the fuses one at a time and check them for continuity with the meter. A visual check only can and will often fool you. Make sure they are the correct rating and replace any that are not correct.
"Alantf" will be along to help you sort things out. He is our own personal electrical garu and will advise and lead you along. His experience is priceless so listen carefully.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
5th_bike

Your wiring diagram is most likely the "K03" one.
And even then your bike could be wired differently. Like, on mine the brake light is switched by the right brake handle via one fuse, and by the foot pedal via another fuse, but I can't find that anywhere on the diagram.
Anyway - what ww said, alan will help you out.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
alantf

Mmmmm.... Firstly, can you let us know EXACTLY what the problem is. From the picture, there appears to be quite a few loose/disconnected cables, plus taped joints. Who made this spaghetti - you or the previous owner? I just hope that there's a chance of getting it back together. Like I said, if you let us know the exact problem, I'll go through the wiring diagram and try to work out the circuits for you. Unfortunately, it looks like you jumped in without doing things in a logical sequence, and without the basic tool (multimeter) so I hope you haven't buggered things up too much. Anyway, give us the details and I'll give it a whirl.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneyonwheels
I am new to this stuff and trying to first figure out which wiring diagram I need is a pain
Just so if anyone else needs to know which wiring diagram is which...............there are three wiring diagrams in the workshop manual.......

wiring diagram FOR E-03, -28 and -33.....shows running lights in the turn signal (dual filament bulbs), so this must be the american bike. (03 = U.S.A., 28 = Canada, 33 = California)

wiring diagram FOR THE OTHERS...... shows a position light (parking light) in the headlight, so this must be the European bike (like mine)

wiring diagram FOR E-24.... is the Australian bike.

Hope this clears it up

Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
alantf

[attachment=0:1fiymutn]img099.jpg[/attachment:1fiymutn]I don't want to disillusion you at this early stage, but I reckon you've got your work cut out . I've been through the wiring diagram, and there are so many joints in the circuit, and without seeing the actual wiring harness, I couldn't possibly tell you where they are.

What you must first do is get a cheapo multimeter (with d.c. volts & ohms (resistance))

cables - black with white tracer is ground (return feed to battery)

Firstly - you MUST remove all fuses (one at a time) and with your meter set to ohms, test across each fuse to prove that they're ok. There's the main fuse in the starter relay, and 5 fuses in the fuse box.

If they're ok, then you need to trace the wiring & check every connector. Also, physically check the wiring for breaks.

Battery to main fuse. From main fuse (grey wire) to ignition switch. From ignition switch to joint (where?) going to loop connector to tail light fuse (in fuse box) then orange/blue to connector to running lights & speedo light. The outgoing side of the tail light fuse goes (also) to the ignition & turn signal fuses. From the signal fuse it's orange/green to the signal relay, brake light switches, horn, neutral light, etc.........

Like I said, it gets complicated. I know that if I were doing the job, I'd need the wiring diagram in one hand & the meter in the other. It seems like one of those problems that have so many variables, that I'd need to actually do the job myself, so that I could change direction with each test result. I hope it's something as simple as a blown fuse, but, if not, as you trace the wiring, keep us informed as to the results, so that we can, at least, try to point you forward again. :2tup:
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

viewtopic.php?p=5974#p5974

I found this post from when I was working on some tail lights. It's not much, but should at least explain which wire powered the running lights and which wire controlled the brake lights. That way you dont cross them over and end up cancelling each other out...

Alan is the best we have for this kind of stuff. I'm not going to cross reference your photos to see if the wires that you have expose match up, but here is a blown up view of the section of the wiring diagram that you need to focus on.:

B/W is your ground. That's consistent. You should be able to figure out the front blinkers/running lights and then the headlight.

Did the PO have a custom headlight up there or something? What the heck???
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yellow is your high beam
White is your low beam
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You're welcome:

For your W(WHITE) I used PINK
For your B/W(BLK/WHT) I used GRAY
Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
alantf

Am I missing something here? Is it that there's a problem with the wiring, ie no power to some of the circuits at the front of the bike, or is it just a question of which colour cable goes to which component? I was assuming that it's "no power", but if it's just the colour coding, then that's a different kettle of fish, and quite easy to solve. Can you let us know, kinney?