Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Maggie

Suspected fuel delivery issues

Howdy all! A couple of weeks ago I started the GZ and, after riding a short distance, I experienced a power loss...like fuel supply cut. I knew I had a relatively full tank of gas (only 60 miles since last fill), so I didn't switch it over to reserve until after I pulled over. I shook the bike back and forth a little while applying the brake and after a couple of those shakes, the bike started up and rode fine. I refilled the tank and the same thing happened again last week after I had run about 25 miles on the newly filled tank.

Since then, I have installed a fuel filter (from what I learned here :biggrin: ). I suspect I probably need to take off the tank (YIKES! Will be my first time doing that) and make sure the little nozzle thingy isn't free floating in there. I also suspect that I need to take out and use air pressure to clean the petcock filters.

So, just checking in with y'all to see if you think I'm on the right track and if there is anything else you would suggest. Here is what I think I will do: 1) make sure the air filter is clean and the little drain pipe emptied and the plug reinserted, 2) when the fuel level is a little lower in the tank, remove the tank and petcock and do the cleaning.

Right now I am leaving the fuel supply on reserve since putting it back to "on" seemed to cause a change back to almost running out of fuel (sound).

Any suggestions, comments, pep talks? O_o

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Suspected fuel delivery issues

Sounds like you have the right idea. The petcock filters are likely clogging up some. Remove the tank (or leave it on) and drain the gas into a clean container. Just use a somewhat longer fuel hose to avoid spillage. Turn the petcock to prime and have at er. When empty you can turn the tank upside down to get good access to the petcock. Careful with high pressure air on the little filters as they may be fragile.
Don't get too excited if the filters are toasted. Personally I would be inclined to toss them and rely on a plastic see through inline gas filter to monitor debri in the tank. They are cheap and easy to replace as you have found out recently. AND you can always bypass them by using a normal piece of fuel line if it plugs up on the road. I used to carry a spare extra long length in the airbox of my dirt bikes in case things went south in the bush. Also great for syphoning gas into another bike when your buddy runs out. LOL. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
alantf

I think the filters in the tank are part of the pipes that go to "run" & "reserve" so removing the long one means that the tank would run dry, & not go to "reserve", so I wouldn't remove them if I were you.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I think the filters in the tank are part of the pipes that go to "run" & "reserve" so removing the long one means that the tank would run dry, & not go to "reserve", so I wouldn't remove them if I were you.
Just checked the fiche on Ronayers.com. Looks to me that they could be cut off without harming the on or reserve function of the "fuel cock". The filters themselves are attached to the top portion of the fuel pipes which are a different length to make the on/reserve functions.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Just checked the fiche on Ronayers.com. Looks to me that they could be cut off without harming the on or reserve function of the "fuel cock". The filters themselves are attached to the top portion of the fuel pipes which are a different length to make the on/reserve functions.
I agree I thought you meant that you would just pull the pipes off. :blush:

Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
I agree I thought you meant that you would just pull the pipes off. :blush:
If you hadn't questioned me I wouldn't have check the fiche. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Maggie

[/quote]
Just checked the fiche on Ronayers.com. Looks to me that they could be cut off without harming the on or reserve function of the "fuel cock". The filters themselves are attached to the top portion of the fuel pipes which are a different length to make the on/reserve functions.[/quote]

I agree I thought you meant that you would just pull the pipes off. :blush:[/quote]
If you hadn't questioned me I wouldn't have check the fiche. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.[/quote]

And thanks to both of you and your toes! I am going to do this project tomorrow morning before it gets too hot. Will let you know how it turns out. <fingers crossed>
Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Maggie

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well, Just a little update: that was FUN!!!

First I want to say thanks to all those who post pics and participate in problem discussions and, especially for me, describe the BASICS on how-to. I also want to thank those who ask the questions I always think of, but never post. I am usually intimidated by anything mechanical, so to have been able to read how to remove the gas tank, what to expect, and see pics is a HUGE confidence builder!

So, I removed the tank with no fuel spillage from the fuel line, not even the teaspoon LOL since I was ready with my rag and open gas can. After draining the tank into the gas can, I removed the petcock (a little gas on my gloves here) and this funky looking dead bug (very wet too) came out from somewhere. Not sure if that was the problem but I was glad to be rid of that creepy stinger looking thing! EEK!

There was a little bit of "darkness" on the built in filters, so I used some air pressure and even a little spray on carb-cleaner (followed immediately by more air) to clean that up. I did ponder whether I wanted to cut the filters off but decided against it for now.

Put everything back together (at first I put the seat latch in backwards LOL) and then, while I was at it, I lubed my clutch cable, rear brake cable and throttle. (I forgot how the speedo cable had been suggested so I just left that alone for now). I also lubed other points like the sidestand and shifter.

So in a little while I will fill up the tank, add some Berryman's B-12, and then go for a little spin. Hopefully the power loss issue will not show up again while I have the petcock at "on." On a side note, I rode yesterday for about 50 miles and no power loss with the petcock on "res."

And, best part, no grease stains on the hands. Just soggy hands from sweating in the gloves. EEEWWWW.

Thanks WW and Alan for your encouragement. You guys rock! :rawk: Woohoo! Now just contemplating what my next little project can be.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Right on Maggie. Sounds like you are having fun and gaining confidence in your own abilities.

The speedo cable is easy too. You can undo the cable from the back of the speedo(should be a round knurled fitting) and pull it out of the speedo. This frees up the top end and you can pull the inner cable out of the outer cable housing. It will probably be ugly and sticky. Clean it up with some cleaner. Maybe kerosine if handy. Slide the inner cable back into the outer cable and drip oil on it as you go. That's the quick way.
Wanna get the full deal? Undo the bottom of the cable too. Drip kerosine into the outer cable to clean it. The mung if any will just drip out the bottom. Drip some oil in to flush the cable housing. Re-assemble and your are done. Note* turn the inner cable to make sure it is seated properly in the bottom position.

When you have the front wheel off for a tire change you can do the speedo sending unit lube procedure. It is slightly more difficult but not a problem for an aspiring mechanic named Maggie.