Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
fatoldfool

building a rack

I will use my GZ for transportation, 30 miles or less most of the time, and it will need to haul a variety of things, including hand tool box, pistol cases and range bags, groceries and occasionally camping gear. So I spent yesterday working on a luggage rack. It is almost finished except paint (wish there were a powder coating facility near me) and one bracket. I will post up some pictures when its finished, if any one is interested.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
alantf

Re: building a rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldfool
I will use my GZ for transportation, 30 miles or less most of the time, and it will need to haul a variety of things, including hand tool boxes, groceries
That's exactly what I use mine for. As well as my top box, saddlebags, and tank bag, I carry a variety of nets, bungee cords, rope etc , to fasten things to the pillion when I need to carry even more. :2tup: The GZ is a fine work horse.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I'm interested to see what kind of design you went with?

The rugged wrap-around wire frame racks my personal favorite:

But anything works, really:

Old 06-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
fatoldfool

OK, I think its finished, unless I find I need to make changes. I plan on incorporating a combo side brace and saddlebag brackets at a later date, but they will be bolt-on. (thats what the washers are for). Usable area is 7 x 19 inches, not counting the vertical part. the picture makes it look like its past the tailight, but it actually is two inches or more from the back of the rack to the taillight base.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

That is quite a neat design. The raised tail will be very helpful to hold things in place. How much weight do you think the rack will safely carry without bending?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
fatoldfool

I have already carried a 60 pound box of ammo with no problem, but it was pretty compact. I think I am going to go ahead and run a vertical brace on each side down to the fender bolts, because I want it to be very stout.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
mrlmd1

I would be a little leery about carrying that much weight on that rack. Most of the rear racks for bikes are rated at about 7 lbs.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldfool
I have already carried a 60 pound box of ammo with no problem, but it was pretty compact. I think I am going to go ahead and run a vertical brace on each side down to the fender bolts, because I want it to be very stout.
Side braces would be a good idea. I missed that at first glance. You will find the GZ can be loaded like a mule without much protest.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Most of the rear racks for bikes are rated at about 7 lbs.
Dunno about that, but my rack is shop bought. I've got a huge box on it, which I regularly fill with enough weight of groceries to cause me to stagger under the weight when I'm carrying them. In 5 years I've had no problems.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
fatoldfool

Back in the 60's I did a lot of plumbing as a second job. My work vehicle was a 56 Puch Allstate 250. It had an engine guard (we called them crash rails back then)and a home-made rear rack made of 1 inch angle iron, and I have hauled 21 ft. joints of T&C pipe plus my tools. I rode that bike summer and winter for several years. Lived in Covington VA at the time. If I keep this GZ ( I call it "My Little Thing") it will have to earn its keep. The only problem so far is its too low to make the creek and breaker crossings to my farm. Back to the rack, its pretty strong. It is made of 5/16 inch square cold-rolled and weedeater shafts. I have sat on it (200 lbs.) but didn't rock side to side. Seemed solid enough.