Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
carralo1

just bought first bike, battery/charging problem

Hey guys, new to forum, just bought an 02 gz250. The guy said battery is shot so we jump started it off his truck, everything worked all the lights I mean. Brought it home today and checked voltage of battery 4.7 volts. Jumped it off my truck and read voltage again while running and still 4.7 volts. Gave it some gas to increase rpms and still 4.7. So I aaume theres something wrong with the charging system. How should I go about diagnosing this or is it possible that its just that the battery is too dead... I assume not. Also when I checked out the bike two days ago the turn signals worked but today when I jumped it off they would come on a first which was weird and then when I hit the switch to turn them on, nothing. Also one last thing, when i had the cables connected to jumo the battery, when i went to take them off the battery on the bike, they were very! Hot. Any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Skunkhome

Re: just bought first bike, battery/charging problem

I think I would pull the battery off and charge it with a trickle charger over night and see what you get with it "fully charged".
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by carralo1
Hey guys, new to forum, just bought an 02 gz250. The guy said battery is shot so we jump started it off his truck, everything worked all the lights I mean. Brought it home today and checked voltage of battery 4.7 volts. Jumped it off my truck and read voltage again while running and still 4.7 volts. Gave it some gas to increase rpms and still 4.7. So I aaume theres something wrong with the charging system. How should I go about diagnosing this or is it possible that its just that the battery is too dead... I assume not. Also when I checked out the bike two days ago the turn signals worked but today when I jumped it off they would come on a first which was weird and then when I hit the switch to turn them on, nothing. Also one last thing, when i had the cables connected to jumo the battery, when i went to take them off the battery on the bike, they were very! Hot. Any ideas?

Welcome, and congrats on the 'new' bike.
But, it sounds like you might have a short in the wiring.
Do as Skunkhome said, get that battery charged up first!
Then, get your meter and start looking for shorts and grounds. When running at 3000 RPM the system should be putting out AT LEAST 12.7V.
But, the high temp of the cables, assuming they are good, tells me that a LOT of current is going straight to a ground (a short). It'll probably take a bit of trial-and-error before you find it.
Keep us posted as you learn more about the problem, and we can help you more.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
mrlmd1

Your battery is probably totally dead and most likely cannot be resurrected. Get a new battery and make sure you charge it up first regardless of what they tell you in the store, and try everything again. It's most likely your battery as the problem, not the bike's charging system. A totally dead/shorted battery will make cables hot and not let the battery accept any charge.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
carralo1

Wow you guys are quick. This looks like a good forum and I will definitely be on here a lot. I will put in the new battery today and recheck everything and then post my results

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
mrlmd1

Be warned - make sure you charge it first or it will never hold a full charge and you will be back at the store getting a replacement real soon - like in 3 or 4 starts of the bike.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
carralo1

Yes battery is in I charged it fully. Reads 12.5 before I started bike. While running it was at 13.6. Is that normal charging volts? Also the turn signals still don't work. What should I check on those. It was weird though cuz the came on again when I turned key to on position, but the turn signal switch was in the middle position and then when I go to turn them on (left and right) they dont work. Weird cuz they worked two days ago when I looked at the bike
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Skunkhome

The charging rate sounds ok. As for the turn signals you might have a bad switch if it works intermittently. I suppose you are aware that the switch returns to the middle position when released but will continue to blink based on its last position. You have to push the button in to cancel the turn signal. Then again being your first bike you may not know that.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
carralo1

Well this is my first bike I'm going to register, it's also the newest. I've restored a
Couple older 1970s yamahas. I did play with the switch and realized about pressing it in. It's not really intermittent because it's not working at all.... ?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
carralo1

Electrical is by far my least knowledgeable... Lol.