Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Old School

Stalling Issues

Today I replaced the plug, had to re-tap for it. Changed the oil. Of course in all this to make things easier I took the tank off for the spark plug. I worked out the high idle issue so I thought. Now when I start it up it seems to idle at a more normal rpm, still a little higher but much better. The issue I am having now is that it runs good even under a revved condition it will stall shortly after starting it. I had it out the other day and did 90 mile on it with no problems. Now I do some routine maint and I get this. I have searched other stalling threads and the only thing I can figure is that I have a vacuum issue that is keeping it from getting consistent fuel???? In the process of all this I checked the air filter and it looks good. I also opened up the carb and it looks clean and the throttle area responds correctly and the plunger moves freely. I am at a loss. I put the new plug in gapped at factory. NGK. Oil level is measuring correctly. Thanks and I hope I can get some help with this. I am starting to wish I had done nothing but just ride it w/o maint.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Old School

Re: Stalling Issues

After running a short while it will stall. Then as I try and start it again I here a slight sucking sound. Cannot figure out where it is coming from. After a bit of a wait, it will fire right up again. A side note that might be helpful to troubling all this. Thought the plunger would move freely, it did not respond to the lever on the handlebar. It all looked very clean and freely moved in the carb. It seems to me like after a moment it is losing air or fuel or being chocked out. I don't know what to do.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Hmmm. A slight sucking sound could be attributed to a plugged vent in the gas cap. Rule that out first. Take another ride with the fuel cock in the Prime postion to rule out a vacuum leak to the fuel cock while in the ON position. You may have a bad vacuum line but I doubt it will make a sucking sound. Keep it simple cause it probably is.

Some one more experienced than I will answer your carb movement question. Some one did mention a while ago that a certain part only moves when the engine is running and causing a vacuum. Nutin more from this old guy but speculation.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
blaine

Lets go one step at a time.Did you install the small vacuum line that goes to the petcock when you had the tank off ? T answer your other question,the choke plunger should move when you move the lever.
:cool:

Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Old School

what is the petcock? I thought I put everything back the way it was supposed to be. There is the larger bulkier hose that hangs out of the bottom of the bike. But there is also another long skinny hose that hangs out the bottom area of the bike as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
what is the petcock? I thought I put everything back the way it was supposed to be. There is the larger bulkier hose that hangs out of the bottom of the bike. But there is also another long skinny hose that hangs out the bottom area of the bike as well.
The petcock is the fuel tap on the bottom of your tank.There should be to hoses attached to it.One bigger one for fuel & a smaller vacuum hose on the back side of it.If it is unhooked you should be able to hear the "sucking" noise.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Old School

I have the tank off again and am double checking everything. The only hose I cannot figure out is the long hose out the bottome of the carb. I still hear a definate sucking noise after I try to restart after a stall. No way a line is plugged.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Old School

What about the airbox? After I pulled the filter out of it I have the opening facing down toward the rear tire, that is the way I thought it was when I took it out. It only made sense.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
PimpS

Wish i could help, but can't. Wish you all the best with solution of your problem!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
One of those hoses will have a plug. It is an airbox drain tube and should be drained now and again in case the air box is contaminated with oil or fuel. The plug prevents the carb from sucking in unfiltered air. The other tube is probably a gas tank overflow tube but I could be wrong. Some one will surely correct me if needed.