Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Old School

Oil Questions for New Guy...

The last oil change on my GZ is unknown, but levels look good and the oil looks like it was just put in. Very good color. I'm not sure about the filter, it is a reddish brown. I was intending on putting new oil in it and picking up a filter. The question is this...how the heck do I get the oil out with the plug on the side of the engine...do I actually have to lay it down...dumb question I know but I am new to this. What is the best method for removing oil? What about the air filter? How often and what is the best method or where the heck is it so I can check it? Thanks from the guy who has not had time to read the online manual.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Oil Questions for New Guy...

You had better read the manual. The plug is on the bottom, and make sure you take the right one out. I don't know what plug you are referring to on the side of the engine, hopefully not the oil site window.
Look for the thread in the How-To section of this forum for how to do an oil change,
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Old School

No, not the site window... that would be really bad. There is also another good size bolt that looked like it could be a plug, but no oil came out. So I came inside to ask the experts.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Read that thread I referenced above, it only takes 1-2 min to see how to do this.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Yup, read the manual. Learn by doing is the best method. If you haven't already picked up oil and a filter here is a cheaper way to spend your money. Buy a Hi-Flo HF 136 oil filter, cheaper than suzuki filters and does the same job. Both of our bikes run very well and shift nicely with cheap old Rotella 15-40 oil. It is certified for bikes and works as well as other oils at 3 times the price.
When you remove the air filter you have to look inside it for dirt etc. The air flow is reversed compared to most other bike/cages on the street. This means the air box itself is a sealed unit when buttoned up so you can't modify it for more air flow(drilling holes in it).

Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
blaine

The plug that you are referring to on the side is a port for taking oil pressure readings.There are two plugs on the base that look very similar.The drain plug is the front one.The one towards the rear is a spring and plunger that keeps you from shifting more than one gear at a time.
:cool:

Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
What about the air filter? where the heck is it
Remove the saddle (by using the key). Remove the side panel where the keyhole is. Remove the 3 bolts holding the air filter. Pull out the filter. :2tup:
Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
5th_bike

When I got my GZ I also got a torque wrench because you want to put the bolts back with the right amount of torque on it.

The oil drain bolt is where it should be, at the bottom, in the middle of a round lid which is held in place by three smaller bolts.

And +1 on the DO download and read the maintenance manual from this forum, they're very useful.