Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Road_Clam

My first impressions

:2tup:

So my wife's GZ250 is all ready for spring . I went through the whole bike. We bought it used with 4900 mi and it was clear to me the two previous owners did nothing as far as maintenance. So , a buff job for the paint, a fresh oil change (it needed it badly), new front brake pads, new rear brake shoes, yanked the carb for my zero cost "road_clam rejet" , and a valve clearance check, and lubed the rusty chain. It was a sunny 42F day and I decided to go for a ride. I have to say, what a fun little bike to blast the back roads ! The engine runs fantastic, and pulled clean throughout the rpm range. The bike ran poor previously in the colder weather, but now it runs perfect. The bike will probably be a bit rich in the summer heat, but i always say i'd rather be rich, than lean. Lean causes frustrating engine hesitations that are especially frustrating for a new rider such as my wife. The bike pulls smooth and consistent, and handles great. The front brakes are very good, and the rear brakes are .... well lets just say they are old skool drum brakes and they feel like it.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
PimpS

Re: My first impressions

Road Clam!
Really nice to read that. It gives the motivation and inspiration that soon will be here like that! yiha!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
mrlmd1

She should be real proud of you and love you forever now. Good work. How long did that take you to do? Did she watch any of it?
Get her to join us on here, become a member on her own and participate on the forum.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
She should be real proud of you and love you forever now. Good work. How long did that take you to do? Did she watch any of it?
Get her to join us on here, become a member on her own and participate on the forum.
I have about 10 hours invested in maintenance and needed repairs . I want her GZ to ride perfect for her as she is just learning. If there was an issue, I wanted to find out now while I was test riding it first.
I scored a perfect set of River Road slant saddlebags for her as well. My wife was right there helping me with an extra set of hands when needed. I also explained everything I fixed, and why. We got all the foot and hand controls lined up perfect for her, so she is very excited. I've barked at her to join this forum anjd make friends but she is "shy" I guess. I will keep trying.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
PimpS

Road_Clam!
Very thoughtfull of you!
I just saw what kind of bikes you all have... Tell me, which is your favourite one?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
Road_Clam!
Very thoughtfull of you!
I just saw what kind of bikes you all have... Tell me, which is your favourite one?
I'm asked this very question all the time. Honestly I don't have a "favorite" . I love each one with a passion ! I have a special place in my heart for both the Gpz and the GSXR as I painstakingly restored each one from trashed to OEM prestine. (I posted pics in the O/T chit chat forum) . I love the GSX-R when I feel the need for some old skool corner carving, I like the GPz when I want to do a fast paced 175 mi+ (much more comfortable than the GSXR), And I love the Harley when I simply am in the mood to stretch my legs an just lump along at a slow pace... I am a LUCKY guy, I have a bike for every motorcycle mood ! :2tup:
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
PimpS

Yes you do! Thank you, well said!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
b1pig

I got the valve adjustment tool and the feeler gauge kit in a few weeks ago so I can do the valve adjustment on Lori's GZ. Our second baby is due next week. (Mar 5th) She has already told me that once everything is "back to normal" she's going for a ride. She hasn't ridden since ... August I think. Maybe July when we took a ride together. Had to have been July, it was before I painted my Ninja.

I'm gonna be home for 7.5 weeks, so I know I'll be out there cleaning her machine up for her. :