Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
dxn1999

Re: Welcome to GZ250bike.com

Guess I have been lurking long enough. After reading hundreds of post here its time to make my first. Its interesting to get to know the different people here and read what they have to say.I came here to get info on how to improve my GZ and found alot of good ideas. For me making improvements just comes naturally. Im like alot of posters here starting on my second time around with motorcycles. Im a vietnam vet so that puts me in that 60s age group. My first bike was a kawa z-1 900cc.I was younger then and fearless and not very smart. I rode for about a year daily before a truck cut me off (his fault) and putting me in the ER and months of recovery. I decided at that time it was better for me and my family that I take a safer route so I went into off road riding .atc and dunebuggies being my favorite. I could still get hurt but not just from minding my own bussiness. I made it to this age by collecting and rebuilding corvettes then after divorcing after 40years of marriage decided living long isnt as important as enjoying life so back into motorcycleing. I dont have a death wish so Im smarter this time around to start with a smaller bike and work back up to 1000cc bike. I know it will never be completely safe but my body doesnt heal as fast so the slower approch may help me suffer less. It doesnt matter what I ride I will always modify it so I really enjoy reading this forum.Its been helpfull and interesting reading.

So far I have added a windshield. I have replaced the front pads and flushed the fuild. I have a 16t sprocket and a replacement muffler on order. so jetting and neddle adjustments are in my future. My bike is a 2006 model with 5200 miles I bought off craigslist for $1600. Its was bone stock with one strach in the headlight ring and one small dent in the tank from the turnsignal so it was dropped at one time but not badly. it looks better now since I gave it a good cleaning and polishing. I even removed the wheels so I could clean the wheels better. The only problem Im having is remembering to turn the turn signals off after completing a turn. I might just add some bright leds to the ones on the turn signal flashing light so they are more in my face.I cant use the alarm signal for warning the turn signals are on becasue after many years of racing and open exhaust have ruined my hearing. Of course having bad hearing is helpful in ignoring a wife after 40 years in a bad marriage. oh yea my new girlfriend is the one who encourged me to get back into riding but i think she just has her own interest in mind. I hope its riding behind me not my life insurance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Welcome to GZ250bike.com

You can start off by telling us a little about yourself and your bike. Have fun in the forums!
Gee after reading your post, think I should sell my baby and cruise around in my Vett! Welcome on board?!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome to the forum. We always like a new member, especially a member with age and wisdow to draw upon. So a double welcome to the old guy club too. The GZ will certainly serve you well and sharpen your riding skills on the way to a future upgrade. Ride Safe and ride often.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
dxn1999

to New GZ250
I see we have the love of corvettes in commom. Im reduced to driving my GFs Mustang Gt conv. now since the divorce took all my toys away. I really enjoy riding a bike its the closest a man can get to being part of a machine. Basicly a car drives itself. They even have them setup to parrel park on their own who needs a driver? Thanks for the welcome.

to Water Warrior
Im old for sure not much wisdom other wise I would have divorced sooner... been alot happier since.Agree about the safety my moto is safety first. thanks for the welcome
Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
alantf

I like the speedo, with both miles/hour & km/hour. All the signs over here are km/hour, but after over 40 years of driving/riding in England, my brain still functions in miles/hour. A Chinese bike I had was fitted with the dual speedo, & for me, it was great.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
burkbuilds

Welcome to the forum! Hope your experience with a street bike is a lot better this time around! Good luck with your modifications, your bike looks great!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
New GZ250

Gee looks like you are about my age, shame we are not closer so we could do some serious biking, plus give you a ride in my car. I bailed on my marriage after 18 years, sure was expensive! Still recovering after 17 years. But 40 years of a bad marriage must be a record, now you have your bike, they are nonjudgemental like a dog. Enjoy! Go figure? :??:
Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
dxn1999

burkbuilds
thanks for the welcome mods are going good I think I fixed my turn signal problem I got some led strips from harbor fieght ($7.99) and mount them on the mirrors. No way I can forget to turn them off now. got that idea from reading here.

New GZ250
not sure Im up for a long mortorcycle ride yet I need to mod that seat I get pain after about 20 miles riding. divorce can be ugly thats for sure the hard part she got 50% of my civil service retirement and I didnt get any of her retirement.Dogs and motorcycles are better thats for sure.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
mrlmd1

Marriage - been there, done that, more than once. I guess I never learned my lesson after the first time. What's that old saying - Better to have loved and lost then spend the rest of your life with a psycho? Much better now with someone, who like me, has no interest in tying the knot. Better to live together if you want to, not because you have to. And you can keep all your toys.

Just don't think of that crap when you're riding, it's much too much of a distraction. You're supposed to be out all alone enjoying the moment.

And 'Vettes are almost as much fun as the GZ and much more comfortable on a long ride. Especially with the top off open to the air. Been there too.

Welcome to the club. :2tup:
Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
burkbuilds

not sure Im up for a long mortorcycle ride yet I need to mod that seat I get pain after about 20 miles riding. [/quote]

There are several good posts on seat mods for the GZ on here. One by BADBOB was the model I used when I modified mine last year and it was a great improvement in comfort as well as a nice look, see if you can find his post it's got some great pictures of the seat.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you may find a local upholstery shop that will do what you want at a reasonable price. I found a guy here in my town who rides a 900 cc bike and owns his own shop and he's covered both my seat mods for me and had them back in less than 48 hours each time. I did my own foam shaping but he said he does that for peoples bikes pretty regularly and I'd be willing to bet there's someone in your area who could do that for you too.

Good luck with changing your seat to be more comfortable for you!