Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
lenkf

Noobie: lights, spray, can in front of back tire

New '09 California GZ owner, new list member. I have a couple observations/questions

1) When engine is running, headlight and front running lights (also turn signals) are lit but back running lights (also turn signals) do not come on. Is this normal for GZ250? Break light works, all turn signals work.

2) While warming up the GZ this cold morning, choke engaged and idling nicely, GZ leaning on the kickstand, I noticed 2 spots from spray growing on the dry cement under the bike, well forward of the muffler's exhaust port. One seemed to be emanating from a small rubber hose sticking out from the bottom of the frame. couldn't tell where the other was from, though possibly from a joint in the exhaust line. What are these fine mists from?

3) Under the frame, behind the engine and just forward of the rear tire, is a "can" with holes in the end. The holes are pointing towards the rear tire. Is this a Catalytic converter?

Thanks.

Fred

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Noobie: lights, spray, can in front of back tire

Your front lights are signal & running lights,they have a double contact bulb.The rear ones are signals only,single contact bulb.If you check under the exhaust pipe you will notice a small hole for moister to drain out.Perfectly normal.Yes,it is a converter.I believe only the California models have the canister. :2tup:

Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
alantf

Never, ever, heard of a catalytic converter on a GZ. Build to a price means they'd be far too expensive anyway. :??:

Old 11-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Never, ever, heard of a catalytic converter on a GZ. Build to a price means they'd be far too expensive anyway. :??:
Oops! :blushidn't mean to sat it was a converter.Just that California models has the canister.Did anybody ever find out what it really was?I'm assume that it catches fuel vapors. :??: :cool:

Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

The charcoal cannister is closer to the tank, just underneath it if my memory is working today. It would be a smaller sealed unit with 1 or 2 lines for the gas vapors. A converter would probably be built into the exhuast in the front end of the muffler if the GZ had a converter. My Vstrom has one in the muffler. Probably the most cost effective way to add a cat and out of sight too.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
lenkf

Thanks for feedback. I removed a rear turn signal lense and verified the bulb had only a single contact point for signaling and not for running lights. I can't ride at night yet while using a learner permit anyway.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Riding at night can be a whole new adventure for some folks. The GZ doesn't have a wonderful headlight to begin with so you will notice less potholes and whatnot until they are right up close and personal. A SilverStar bulb will help but you still only have one light as opposed to 2 lights on a cage or a bigger bike.
For night riding wear reflective gear and it never hurts to spread some reflective tape on the bike so others have a better chance of seeing you and avoiding you.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
lenkf

I also have a couple decades of bicycling day and night. High visibility on bicycles is a primary consideration because drivers close on bicycles faster than motorcycles which can move at car speeds. I have a high visibility and reflective vest for motorcycling at night, and even days when on the freeway.

fred
Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkf
I also have a couple decades of bicycling day and night. High visibility on bicycles is a primary consideration because drivers close on bicycles faster than motorcycles which can move at car speeds. I have a high visibility and reflective vest for motorcycling at night, and even days when on the freeway.

fred
The high vis vests are becoming more popular each year in this area. Riders are finally getting smarter all the time. My neighbor who I will never ride with thinks a vest makes you an easier target to find and hit. He is a little twisted in the brain area.

Noticed your other bike listed. Can we see a pic of the sidecar rig ?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
lenkf

Fred here. FYI any kind of combustion engine powered vehicle sold in California costs MORE than the same vehicle sold in the other 49 states. Thus more thingies added to a bike cost more, few "Chinese bikes" are legal in CA, can't buy cheaper 49 state new bikes from nearby states without hassles or major upgrades. As an example, I replaced an old Sears riding mower (of 25 years) with a new riding mower recently. I couldn't even order the "California model" off the sears website but had to order over the telephone, or at least get the phone person to tell me the webpage where the "California model" could be found!! Cost $200-300 more for a modest machine! Cheeze Californians are getting fleeced in the name of clean air, as though it doesn't matter what's happening in the rest of the US! The wind blows west to east in the US, so you east coast folks get all the bad air crap produced by the other 49 states, not CA California gets a little dirty nuclear air from the recent Japan earthquakes.

A pic of my other moto, the '06 Vulcan Classic 1500 FI with sidecar (now 30k miles, just broke in), is on my website at:
http://031c100.namesecurehost.com/LenkN ... 40x480.JPG

I hope the link to the above image get's thru this "quick reply" format. Let me know if it doesn't.You may have to cut and paste the url. Before retiring recently, this outfit was a daily driver on the job, shopping and for fun mostly around town. Though it could cruise 80 mph on the 101, I kept speed to c. 70 to conserve fuel. The car contained all the tools I needed to fix network and computer problems for the local school district. I could also mount a 4' ladder to reach network gear sometimes placed about 6.5' high in rooms used by staff and students. I'm using the GZ more often now around town (the vulcan gets only 25mpg around town if I'm easy) and I may attach a lightweight sidecar frame on the GZ to which I could attach a tub or other large items depending on what I need to move. Sadly, utility mini-trucks with 3 or 4 wheels, efficient engines, still haven't made it to California this century, so a sidecar motorcycle is about as close as you can legally get to a really cheap "ute"

fred

PS: thanks again for the help.