Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
soydeoax

Need help with a bike that dies please!

Hello all I'm a newbie having issues with my 2000 gz250 with 6800 miles which I've had for about a month.

Tonight it happened as I was slowing down and from about 30-35 mph for a red light. Bike died all lights went dim and was unable to restart.

Same problem last week. Same situation but this time I was able to slow all the way down, stop and then died right at the red light. Again all lights dim or dead and not even a weak crank from starter.

First time it happened it was right in my driveway. Pulled in clutch put bike in gear and as soon as I revved up it died. Same end result.

There's been couple times where the bike made my 70 mile work commute with the only issue. The battery going dead after I get home. So I make it home OK but battery won't have enough juice to start bike again.

So far I've tried a few things but no luck fixing the issue. Tonight I had new battery I just purchased and had charged all day. Put seafoam in tank, checked all fuses and visible connections. Other than that issue bike runs very smooth and starts right up once its been sitting there a while and the battery is fully charged. Hope someone here can help.

Thanks very much.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
5th_bike

Re: Need help with a bike that dies please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soydeoax
2000[...]Tonight[...]Bike died all lights went dim and was unable to restart.[...]Again all lights dim or dead and not even a weak crank from starter. [..]Pulled in clutch put bike in gear and as soon as I revved up it died. [..] 70 mile work commute [...]The battery going dead after I get home. So I make it home OK but battery won't have enough juice to start bike again. Tonight I had new battery I just purchased and had charged all day. Put seafoam in tank, checked all fuses and visible connections. Other than that issue bike runs very smooth and starts right up once its been sitting there a while and the battery is fully charged. Hope someone here can help.
Thanks very much.
Good call on the battery, 70 miles is enough to recharge a good battery so you did need a new one.
Other than that :??: Doesn't sound like the side stand switch, because your lights die with the engine.
The way you describe it, it sounds more like there is some major bad electric connection somewhere around the battery. With a bike from 2000, that's possible, because of its age.
Did you check the electric connections under the tank too? The tank is really easy to remove. And the connections at the fuse box ? You know where it is.
Sorry I can't be of any more help now, but don't worry, someone else will chime in for sure.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
soydeoax

I did check all connections at fuse box, pulled out and back in all fuses. I didn't remove tank but did look under it with flash light and didn't see anything unplugged or ripped. I just don't understand why it runs great without any issues until that happens! All power goes out and won't even push start. I've check battery with volt meter after it happens and it goes way down to 5-6 volts but then an hour later is back to 10-11. Still won't start bike but light look brighter and I can get at least one weak starter turn and hear the relay click.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I once had a poor intermitant connection on my driving lights. A test light would work and my meter said all is good but there was not enough juice to light things up. Stripped out some connectors and re-did them. Problem solved. An almost good connection can be hardest to find because it will show up as good when you look for the problem. Pull the tank and start jiggling wires with the headlight on. If it goes dim you are getting close. Also look for wires that have been worn through and touching the frame. Around the bars and steering head where the wires bend and twist is a good spot to check.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
soydeoax

Thanks both 5th and warrior .I will do the tank removal and check the wires with the light on tomorrow after I get bike back home. It's been frustrating getting stranded twice now and probably more until I get this issued figure out and fixed.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
alantf

Have you checked the charging system? Probably not that, but something you need to eliminate. Charge battery, & it should read around 12.8V. Start bike & rev up to around 4000 revs. Check the battery while this is happening, & the reading should go up to around 13.8V. :2tup:
Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
mrlmd1

Battery connections can come loose or build up corrosion so you are not drawing full power or are not charging.
Your battery may have been OK - you have to fully charge it first then measure the voltage again about a half hour later so the "surface charge" dissipates, then test it with a load tester. By replacing the battery you may have cleaned up and tightened the connectors so your problem could have been solved that way. A short would probably have blown a fuse or melted/burned some wiring.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Gz Rider

Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
soydeoax

Went and got bike last night. Took the old battery fully charged with me and was gonna switch batteries to get it started but was able to start with the battery (the new one) that was in the bike. Ran OK for a few blocks then as I stopped to make a turn bike died again. This time I switched batteries and started right up but very rough idle. I avoided stopping completely, kept it half choked and revving high and rough but made it home. I will check charging system today and will look at wires for a short. Have checked all fuses in fuse box and main 20 volt fuse and everything is good with the right capacity and haven't had a single one gone bad.

Again thank you all, I will keep you posted.