Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Fox

Turn signal poblems.

well I've installed a new battery and went to start the bike up. but when i tried the turn signals..the left one would come on and blink...then i went to th right one andit'd blink once and poof it'd just shut off...and when i went to try the left signal again it wouldn't work (and I canceled the signal before hand)...so i canceled the signal..then waited roughly 15 seconds and tried the left one again and it works fine....so the nI tried the right again..and sure enough it blinks once and shuts off..then went to the left signal again and it doesn't work....and I even went through that with out canceling the signal and it still doesn't work...

maybe you guys know? my dad told me it was a relay somewhere....but I had the signal on and I couldn't hear the relay switching on and off...

if it is a relay...where would it be?

thanks,

btw it's a 2008 model

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
5th_bike

Re: Turn signal poblems.

Hm it could be the relay indeed. It is underneath the storage compartment under the saddle next to the fuse box. You can just pull them out straight up, the storage compartment as well as the relay. Then, put it back and test. Then, I'd check all wires before changing out the relay, it could just be a bad connection somewhere.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
blaine

Welcome.The relay is under seat next to the fuse box.The side stand relay and signal relay are combined as one unit.
:cool:

Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Gz Rider

Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Welcome.The relay is under seat next to the fuse box.The side stand relay and signal relay are combined as one unit.
:cool:

I had a funny suspicion it was there...i seen a white box beside the battery..i coudl se fuses inside it but didn't think the relay was in there as well. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
This is too freaky. I'd never seen this complaint from anyone so I posted the following thread regarding my turn signal issues. They are slightly different from yours but reading the posts may help you some.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4879

Since you are having the problem only on the right side, I would ask the question what is different about the right side? It would seem to me that the contacts inside the grip are different and if they are dirty on the right side that might drop the voltage more on that side causing the problem to be only on that side.

I would clean the contacts first.
I'm not sure..i had the switch open and the contacts were fine..i cleaned them up a bit anyways with a rag and contact cleaner...and as a precaution I had a wire lead attached to the main lead in the switch while I had it apart and put the other end on each signal wire..and i got the same thing...

and thanksfor the thread link...that's actually the thread that bought me here through Google..Lol

Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
mrlmd1

Just to be sure, check your bulbs and make sure those contacts are clean and that the PO didn't change out one of the bulbs for an incorrect one. Also you have to check along the length of wires to the signals and make sure there's no abrasion of insulation or kinking/breaks in the wiring somewhere.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
Gz Rider

Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Good catch on the wrong bulb theory. A big wattage bulb would overheat the flasher and it would need a cool down period. Check all the signal bulbs to be sure they are correct.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Good catch on the wrong bulb theory. A big wattage bulb would overheat the flasher and it would need a cool down period. Check all the signal bulbs to be sure they are correct.

they should be...they worked fine before I stored it for winter... But i'll check anyways.