Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
kbwilson2314

New Battery--Help!

Hello. I bought a new battery for my bike today and I turned in my old one. After I charged my battery, I went to put it on my bike, but the screws don't work. What I mean by that is, that the screws don't have anything to screw into. They slip down through the battery cables and into the metal thing...but there is no where for the screws to screw into.
What do I do?
Thanks for any help.
-Katie

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
blaine

Re: New Battery--Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwilson2314
Hello. I bought a new battery for my bike today and I turned in my old one. After I charged my battery, I went to put it on my bike, but the screws don't work. What I mean by that is, that the screws don't have anything to screw into. They slip down through the battery cables and into the metal thing...but there is no where for the screws to screw into.
What do I do?
Thanks for any help.
-Katie
There should have been new bolts & nuts with the new battery.If not take one of the bolts to the hardware store so you can get the correct nut.
:cool:

Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
kbwilson2314

Ok. Yeah, nothing came with the battery except...the battery. Lol. Guess I'm making another trip to the store tomorrow. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

The new battery should come with 2 small square nuts that fit in the terminal post fixtures. They will lie on the bottom and wait for the bolt to reach down and draw them up and tight. They are square so they will not turn but be held in position without need of a tool. The proper screw can be tightened with a screw driver or a smallish wrench from the bike tool kit.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
kbwilson2314

Alright....newbie right here. I looked back in the box again, and what do ya know!?!?! There were the screws and the square nuts. Geez....I feel like a dumbie...Thanks for your help.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Alright....newbie right here. I looked back in the box again, and what do ya know!?!?! There were the screws and the square nuts. Geez....I feel like a dumbie...Thanks for your help.
No problem.Saves you a trip to the hardware store. :2tup:

Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
7,000,000 other newbies had said the same thing. It is easy to overlook something if you have little or no experience.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
mrlmd1

Occasionally. depending on the thickness of the battery cable connections, the screw may seem too short to reach and grab the nuts lying at the bottom of the terminal area. In that case, use a small screwdriver or a toothpick or something and lift up the underside of the nut until the screw grabs it and threads into it. This is fairly common so don't think you got the wrong screws.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Occasionally. depending on the thickness of the battery cable connections, the screw may seem too short to reach and grab the nuts lying at the bottom of the terminal area. In that case, use a small screwdriver or a toothpick or something and lift up the underside of the nut until the screw grabs it and threads into it. This is fairly common so don't think you got the wrong screws.
I just cut a small square spacer out of an old ear plug and put it under the square nut permanently. Holds the nut up close and personal sort of thing.