Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
geezer

you GOTTA be kiding me!

i have to remove the forks to drain and refil the oil!? suzuki you cheap bastards! imean cooooomon!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
geezer

Re: you GOTTA be kiding me!

well it wasnt that big of a deal i got em off and refilled already :roll: actually this way you get more of the old oil out so its not really a bad thing, i wanted to ake pics and make a sticky outta this but no camara. but a drain and refill shouldnt take more than a few hours for even the uber novice. i used a jack under the pass side foot peg and the kickstand to get the front wheel off the ground for the work, turned out great
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
cayuse

I'm no mechanic, but the 2nd time I took my forks off I had the first one off and drained in 20 minutes. That includes jacking and looking around for my sockets. I use the wooden jack stands described in another thread and an automotive jack under the front 'peg' bar.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
geezer

i searched the forum and found that thread you hijacked :lol: yeah its not a hard job at all. fluid still looked pretty good after 13yrs too. i addes some red stuff :lol: called ss8 i had fun, thats hat i love about this bike maintaining it is actualy fun rather than hair pulling and cussinglol
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
geezer

ok this is turning out to be realy educational too! i found out where most of my il has been going, lol drum roll please.....airbox! that plug under i undid it and oil got all over the place. i also checked my spark plug and it looks perfecto! just a touch darker than grey. now i gotta find the thread that said what the gap was. also im going to mod my stock airfilter getting ride of the air diverter and plastic tube thing. found a muffler on eby for it im going to snag up for around 70 bucks. i like the way most 250 sound, just no t this one :lol:

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
i also checked my spark plug and it looks perfecto! just a touch darker than grey. now i gotta find the thread that said what the gap was.
Spark plug gap is 0.024 in to 0.028 in. or 0.6mm to 0.7mm :cool:

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
geezer

got it blaine i loaded up the manual on my desktop! wow what an awesome gift from the owner!! :bow:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
ok this is turning out to be realy educational too! i found out where most of my il has been going, lol drum roll please.....airbox! that plug under i undid it and oil got all over the place. i also checked my spark plug and it looks perfecto! just a touch darker than grey. now i gotta find the thread that said what the gap was. also im going to mod my stock airfilter getting ride of the air diverter and plastic tube thing. found a muffler on eby for it im going to snag up for around 70 bucks. i like the way most 250 sound, just no t this one :lol:
Thanks for making this thread about changing the front fork oil! Makes me not dread it as much when I decide to do it.

I think the manual says that the spark plug is supposed to be light brown, not grey. I could be wrong though. I put my manual under the seat of my bike and I don't feel like running out there right now to look at it, lol. I'll do it tomorrow.

And yea, thats where my oil was leaking too. My buddy told me that it is normal and that its from the blow-by. Normally its minimal enough that it just burns right threw, but sometimes it gets built up. The hose thing that goes from my air box to the carb is leaking the oil onto carb and engine...which is that yellow haze I was talking about in a different thread.

Let us know how the new muffle sounds! I wouldn't mind making mine sound beefier.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
geezer

hose from carb to airbox, you mean the intake boot? i dont have any other hoses going to the box. hell yeah i cant wait to make her purr
Old 07-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
tcrave

probably, not really sure what the technical term for it is. I took out the drain plug for my air box and had a bunch of oil come out, lol, guess it really needed it. Didn't really seem to make a difference, but whatever.