Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
jljowers

Cleaning the Chain

I have read in other posts that kerosene is the preferred method to clean-up the chain on our bikes. Here is my dilema. While kerosene is somewhat easy to come by for me (I work @ a hardware store) I have a dilema of another sort. I am highly allergic to kerosene. Any suggestions as to what I could substitute?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Cleaning the Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljowers
I have read in other posts that kerosene is the preferred method to clean-up the chain on our bikes. Here is my dilema. While kerosene is somewhat easy to come by for me (I work @ a hardware store) I have a dilema of another sort. I am highly allergic to kerosene. Any suggestions as to what I could substitute?
I use mineral spirits but I do NOT know what it does to the O ring seals; might be eating them away.

WD40 should work good......come to think of it, I may switch to that myself, since I keep a gallon can around most of the time! Don't know what that will do to the rings either, however.

If you want to be REALLY safe, just use a very light engine oil to "clean" it (like 10W or even 5W if you can find it) and then wipe thoroughly and apply the heavier stuff. Probably not a good idea to use chain "wax" after cleaning with oil as it might not stick right.

The best solution is to get somebody else to do it FOR you !! :cool:
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
xt477

I've always thought ATF was the best. Kerosene, mineral spirits or any petroleum distillate (like WD40) has to be hard on the orings. Where as Automatic transmission fluid is a perfect 5w oil with lots of detergents in it. I use it to oil anything you may use 3-in-one or some other 5w oil.

I even use ATF on computer fans. Just peel the sticker and maybe a rubber dust cap off the back add 1 drop of oil and it will run like new!

Think I’m going to try the 80-90w suggestion though.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt477
I've always thought ATF was the best. Kerosene, mineral spirits or any petroleum distillate (like WD40) has to be hard on the orings.
Excellent suggestion for the really safe category! Would require some extra wiping after use as it won't evaporate away as WD40 mostly does after a few minutes.

The people that make the chains specify kerosene. Don't know if that is because other stuff is not safe for the rings or because the kero just cleans the best. I suspect the latter but have no evidence to back that up.

One would think that in this day and age that they would be using neoprene for the seals, with is pretty impervious to almost anything.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
jljowers

Thanks for the suggestions. Since the jury still may be out on WD40 (o-rings) I suppose I will try some ATF. THat sounds like a safe alternative. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
You DO know they sell chain cleaner in spray aerosol cans right? I jack my bike up and just spray while rotating the wheel. Works rather well, ive got a nice clean chain.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
jljowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
You DO know they sell chain cleaner in spray aerosol cans right? I jack my bike up and just spray while rotating the wheel. Works rather well, ive got a nice clean chain.
Again, I am a DA. Yeah I just found some chain cleaner in a handy aerosol can. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
They also sell specific brushes for cleaning the chain as well. 3 sided brush to clean all sides of the chain. Handy tool if you can find one at a motorcycle shop.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
Gadzooks Mike

I've been looking for chain cleaner in a can - and haven't found any. What and where, please?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Bill

Curious to know if anyone has an idea of what is used for the chain cleaner in a can. I trust manufacturers to use the easiest and cheapest materials for the best profit margin. You don't think they use kerosene as a major component do you?

Cheers!