Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
tcrave

New from Missouri

Originally had a 1984 Honda Magna VF700C, but realized I wanted something smaller, so I sold it and bought a 2001 Suzuki gz250. Excellent decision. I love the thumper! Getting around 65 mpg and doesn't need nearly as much warm up time as the Magna. Had to take quite a journey to get it, but it was worth it. I love this bike! It does have a few issues, such as not wanting to shift into first sometimes, but I have learned that either the synchro is out on it or doesn't have one, so I just use the method of shifting to first before stopping or rolling it a little then shifting.

Really glad i found this forum! I have obtained a lot of knowledge already from it! Thanks for being a great source of information!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
blaine

Re: New from Missouri

Welcome to the form.You found out the proper way to get it in 1st gear.That is a common problem on these bikes.There is nothing wrong with it.Good luck on your test.

:cool:

Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
tcrave

Thanks! So I take it these bikes just aren't sychro'd for first gear? Glad to hear there isn't anything wrong with it! Thanks! It did kinda scare me at first...I read somewhere on here that someone had the same problem with the hard shifting and suggested Mobile 1 Synthetic oil, so I went straight to the store and got a few quarts of that stuff (expensive, ugh). Then had to wait a few days for the oil filter to come in (expensive again, ugh), then changed the oil and it helped considerably, but the first gear was still a problem. Also lubed up the shifter pivot, as per instructions on her, and it still didn't want to shift so it scared me at first. So I just kept doing that trick to get it to work.

Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about the test, I haven't had much experience on the bike, but feel fairly comfortable, still a little...um, unstable at certain times. I am an Illinois resident, so unfortunately, the law says that I am only allowed to ride under direct supervision of a licensed motorcyclist over 21 years of age with at least 1 year of experience and only during daylight hours. And I can't ride anyone....which means my girlfriend has to follow me in her car when I ride or I have to break the law, which I don't like doing.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
geezer

dude wow thats alot of restriction! hey as for shifting just get it all done before you stop. of course when you do forget just rock the bike alittle back and forth at lights and get her in.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Tcrave. We like new blood on the forum as it keeps us old guys alive and active. The 1st gear thing is actually quite common among many bikes so the GZ is not unique in this instance. Thankfully you didn't get a Rebel 250 because they have such a weird 1st gear you have to push down on the shifter and kill the engine to find 1st. A very common trait I have read and Honda has never fixed it in all the years of building Rebels.
As for the restrictions..........I agree with them. The graduated riding system does save lives and prevent a lot of injuries. We even have it here with cages.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
jslatts

Welcome

I had the same problems with the 1st gear. thought their was something wrong with the bike. lol now I know better (so thankful the bike is ok lol)
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver 2)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Welcome Tcrave. We like new blood on the forum as it keeps us old guys alive and active. The 1st gear thing is actually quite common among many bikes so the GZ is not unique in this instance. Thankfully you didn't get a Rebel 250 because they have such a weird 1st gear you have to push down on the shifter and kill the engine to find 1st. A very common trait I have read and Honda has never fixed it in all the years of building Rebels.
As for the restrictions..........I agree with them. The graduated riding system does save lives and prevent a lot of injuries. We even have it here with cages.
I was actually looking for either a Suzuki gz250, Honda Rebel 250, Honda Nighthawk 250, or Yamaha Virago 250...the gz is just the first good deal I found that was close enough to get. I'm glad it happened this way, I'm loving this bike! I think its the perfect bike for me right now. My gf's mom has a newer rebel with lower miles, nicer bike, but honestly, I think I like my gz more...though I have not driven her rebel, just rode on the back.

Yea, I understand them putting restrictions on it, its just annoying that I cannot get more practice as I always have to have her follow me in her car and its bothersome for her, and a waste of gas. I wasn't able to take my test today because it decided to rain and my gf had to go into work early, but hopefully tomorrow morning will work.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslatts
Welcome

I had the same problems with the 1st gear. thought their was something wrong with the bike. lol now I know better (so thankful the bike is ok lol)
yea, I am glad I figured it out before harming the bike and/or taking stuff apart. I was really kicking the heck out of the shifter peddle trying to get it in gear.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. I don't recall you saying anything about taking a course. If not I'd recommend you take a beginners course like the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course). It will get you started with the proper foundation and avoid a lot of bad habits. Ride safe.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. I don't recall you saying anything about taking a course. If not I'd recommend you take a beginners course like the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course). It will get you started with the proper foundation and avoid a lot of bad habits. Ride safe.

Thanks! Nice to hear from South Carolina. I just took my exam today and passed! I'm legal now! I have not taken any safety courses, but I have read the manual that my gf got when she took the course. It's a Missouri manual and I'm an Illinois resident, so I'm sure there are going to be some difference, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to read it over. I do plan to take the MSF course as soon as I get a chance, but I wanted to go ahead and get my license so my gf doesn't have to follow me around every time I go riding or want to practice or anything. I'm sure I probably have some bad habits I am starting that need to be nipped in the but. I guess the hard part for me is I have to drive to Illinois to do anything and its a bit of a drive. I would just take the Missouri safety course, but its a bit expensive, the Illinois one is free from what I understand.