Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Ramblerman

I really want to ride this bike, not part it out!

Hi! I posted recently in the "Introduce Yourself" section about my '99 that I bought a few weeks ago. The engine had a valve break off in the cylinder at higher RPM and needed rebuilding. I bought it cheap because I wanted a project and hated to see it parted out since the bike was well cared for and looked great (15,000 miles).

I have now rebuilt the top half of the engine and I can not get it started for anything in the world! Here is what I know so far:

Timing: I have checked, re-checked, and checked again - all of the timing marks (and the camshaft) appear to be in the correct locations!
Spark: I do have a nice spark coming from the NEW plug. I have the plug gap at .025"
Valves: I have adjusted them a couple of times and have them very close to their proper specs at this point (adjusted with the piston at TDC on the compression stroke)
Carburetor: Took apart and cleaned, passages and jets were all clear, adjusted float.
Fuel: Fresh fuel put into a CLEAN tank and I am running an inline clear fuel filter and I can see the fuel flow into the carb when I put petcock on prime!
Battery: Charged up with a 2amp trickle to 100% - tested good!
Starter Fluid: I get no sputter or anything whatsoever with a 1-2 second spray when I spray into airbox (or carburetor directly).

I have been reading all of the information I can find in all of the posts related to my issue here on this forum! So far nothing has helped me! Can anyone please shed some light on this funkyness? I am going crazy here trying to figure out what the issue is. This is the first bike I have owned and it makes a great yard ornament. I would love it to be a great bike too! :tongue:

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: I really want to ride this bike, not part it out!

I have had only one experience when Lynda's GZ would not fire up. After an oil change I left the oil filler plug out and it would not even sputter. Put the plug in and away it went. Must be something to do with engine vacuum or related pressures. Did you leave the plug out and attempt to start it ?? That's all I got but some one with more savvy will be along soon. Hang in there.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
JWR

Kill switch on handle bar???

Mine would not start sometimes and I would turn it off and on a few times.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Ramblerman

Water Warrior: That's interesting. I had no idea that would cause a no-start problem! Unfortunately, my oil fill plug (and everything else I can see) appears to be properly tightened! Huh, maybe I should try taking off the oil fill plug. I think I have tried everything else. :lol:

JWR: Thanks, I actually tried "resetting" all the controls several times, and still no starting. The starter will CRANK the engine all day long, but nothing happens after that!

Also, for more information about the problem, I am able to put a finger over the spark plug opening while cranking it and I can feel compression. Also, I am able to feel puffs of air coming out of the muffler while cranking, which would imply that there are no restrictions!

Thanks guys,
Daniel
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
alantf

Have you tried putting the choke on, before cranking? (let's try clutching at straws) That could be - just could be - the problem. :??:

If you're getting fuel, pressure, a spark, I can't think of anything else (that's obvious) to try.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
bonehead

Have you confirmed that you DO have spark?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Have you confirmed that you DO have spark?
Yes.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Ramblerman

I have tried using the choke in the fully closed position, fully open position, and part way in between! I have even taken the brass choke cable connection off of the carb and made sure that everything was working in there, and it appears to be. I cleaned it out anyway.

I checked for spark through the spark plug wire. Then I attached the spark plug to the end of the wire and grounded it too the engine. The spark looked good (to my eye) and it jumped the .025" gap very nicely.

Of course, I have no way to know (or do I?) if the spark is REALLY firing at the correct time when it is supposed to be firing.

Daniel
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Can you verify there is fuel getting into the cylinder from the carb ??
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Ramblerman

When I pull the carb off of the engine I do get a little bit of fuel on my hands from near the throttle plate. I presume that the vacuum from the intake stroke would draw this into the cylinder. Right?

To make sure, as somewhat of a last resort, I sprayed starter fluid into the opening on the cylinder head where the carb mounts to, right behind the intake valves. I then cranked the starter with a fully charged battery... There was no sputter, no firing noises of any kind! :??:

Daniel