Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
FLAJIM

Looking for a bike, what years to avoid....

Hello All. I am looking to get a used GZ250 for my wife to learn on and for me to ride around town. Can you tell what model years to avoid.... what model years to look for ???? Really don't know too much about the line. Thanks in advance for all replies

Be Safe JIM

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Looking for a bike, what years to avoid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM
Hello All. I am looking to get a used GZ250 for my wife to learn on and for me to ride around town. Can you tell what model years to avoid.... what model years to look for ???? Really don't know too much about the line. Thanks in advance for all replies

Be Safe JIM
Welcome to the forum.The G.Z. is basically the same for all years.The combustion chamber was modified in 04 for better efficiency.Beside that no changes.
:cool:

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
geezer

a perfect bike for her, how tall is she? the bikes low wieght and seat hight are awesome for short riders

Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
FLAJIM

She is 5'2", this is the bike she used at the MSF school to learn on. Now she would like to ride it for awhile before moving up (if ever) to a larger bike. Thanks for the advice, Be Safe JIM
Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

5' 2" will make it a near perfect fit. Lynda is 5'3" and she was always comfortable on the bike.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Because this is essentially a "starter" bike, (although some of us keep 'em) there tends to be a lot of churn. You will probably be able to pick up a relatively new one, relatively cheaply. I'd recommend you start out looking for one no older than a '07 and with less than 5K. Although it's not hard to find even older models with super low mileage, it generally means they have not been ridden regularly and you may run into some issues associated with disuse. Also, the 250 is a relatively low powered bike and it works pretty hard to maintain highway speeds. I'd stay away from high mileage engines - I don't get the sense my GZ is going to be able to put up the same odometer numbers as my larger displacement bikes (this is just speculation on my part, but it the GZ has to kill itself to achieve speeds that my Strat does while yawning...)

Bikes older than '07 are probably going to need new tires, and are more likely to require a higher level of TLC if they haven't been maintained properly. A lot of people buy them new and sell them six months later at a pretty steep discount to get a bigger bike. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
DAN

Don't worry too much about the year, but more about the condition. Every thing is relative cost verses year verses condition. Look for a bike under 5000 miles and newer than 06 if you want super clean, although I bought an 02 with 3000 miles that was perfect for $1000 (winter prices) this year, it did need a fuel flush and carb clean from sitting 6 months in a garage. Look at the tires for tread and side wall cracking, check the fuel and vacuum lines for stiffness. Look under the seat and tank for cleanliness and as an indicator of condition. If over 10,000 miles check the chain and sprockets. Look at the old oil for color and do an oil change when you get your bike as this is the most important thing to do for engine longevity. Of course with all bikes you should look for damage as in being dropped or bent. Check function an all systems, brakes, lights, turn signals. Brand new black 09's are available from internet dealers for $2500 assembled plus shipping, so this has a tendency to set a price curve on used GZ's. Newer pristine with accessories (luggage rack/seat back, windshield, saddle bags) seem to be $2500 - $2000, basic newer about $1800, 05, 6 and 7's $1500/1600 plus extra for accessories, 04 and older much depends on condition, but there are some real bargains out there in the older garage queens. Don't forget to pick you favorite color; (besides black) red, dark blue, bright blue, green, teal, silver and maybe others were available over the years. --Dan--
100cc and 125cc honda CB
350cc yamaha twin - 1970
160cc honda -1966 model
350cc honda CB 1970
350cc honda SL
650 Yamaha 1972
F650gs BMW 2007
Virago 750 Yamaha 1996
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Joel K-Man

I got a 2000 GZ that had 3900 miles on it. It sat for a couple of years so I had to do a good bit to it. If you are a do it yourself person, you can whip it into shape pretty cheaply. I have about $900 or so in it, including some things it didn't really need ( windshield, accent lighting, ect ) . The only thing I didn't do myself were the tires and brakes. Those are my LIFE and I left them to the pros.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
DAN

PS: The prices I posted were referance only , but seem to be acurate for fall/winter purchased this past year. Spring Summer will be a couple hundred higher and if you live in Califonia you may see slightly higher pricing for all bikes. For some reason the west coast seems to have higher prices for everything. --Dan--
100cc and 125cc honda CB
350cc yamaha twin - 1970
160cc honda -1966 model
350cc honda CB 1970
350cc honda SL
650 Yamaha 1972
F650gs BMW 2007
Virago 750 Yamaha 1996
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
FLAJIM

I really appreciate all the replies. I first stated looking at the Honda Rebel 250, but both the wife and I like the look of the GZ250 better. I am going to hit, ebay and craigslist and hopefully get one soon. Really do not want to go thru a dealer. Here in Florida and I am guessing all over, they really add in a lot of fees. I can go to DMV myself and save the $$$.

Be Safe JIM