Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
grego

brake light stays on when bike is off

hi all i'm a new biker. i just bought a 2006 gz250 with 162 miles on it. after the bike was delivered it sat in the garage until all the paperwork was completed about 2 weeks. i installed a mini rack on the back to carry my laptop. when i went to start the bike the battery was dead. i chargered the battery and the bike started. i checked all the lights and went for a short first time ride. when i got back and turned the bike off the tail light was still on.i believe its the brake light because when i hit the brakes it doesn't get brighter. i read other posts and i don't think i have a park. just off on and lock from what i can see. well i started to troubleshoot the problem. i disconnected the 2 wires from the front brake. i could here the switch clicking. light still on. i chased the rear brake to 2 wires and disconnected them. still on. the only way to turn the light off is either remove the 20 amp fuse or disconnect the battery. any and all help would be greatly appreciated
grego

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: brake light stays on when bike is off

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
hi all i'm a new biker. i just bought a 2006 gz250 with 162 miles on it. after the bike was delivered it sat in the garage until all the paperwork was completed about 2 weeks. i installed a mini rack on the back to carry my laptop. when i went to start the bike the battery was dead. i chargered the battery and the bike started. i checked all the lights and went for a short first time ride. when i got back and turned the bike off the tail light was still on.i believe its the brake light because when i hit the brakes it doesn't get brighter. i read other posts and i don't think i have a park. just off on and lock from what i can see. well i started to troubleshoot the problem. i disconnected the 2 wires from the front brake. i could here the switch clicking. light still on. i chased the rear brake to 2 wires and disconnected them. still on. the only way to turn the light off is either remove the 20 amp fuse or disconnect the battery. any and all help would be greatly appreciated
grego
You do have a park position on the ignition switch. Take a good look at it in the light. Starting from the left most position the key will be in "Park" with the forks locked and the tail light "On". Next position, lock with the forks locked. Next position is "Off" and the forks can be turned, last and to the far right is the "On" position and you can go riding.
You must also check the brakes lights for proper function with the key "On". Both front hand control and rear foot control. With the key on, the tail light should be on and get brighter when the brakes are applied.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You do have a park position on the ignition switch. Take a good look at it in the light. Starting from the left most position the key will be in "Park" with the forks locked and the tail light "On". Next position, lock with the forks locked. Next position is "Off" and the forks can be turned, last and to the far right is the "On" position and you can go riding.
You must also check the brakes lights for proper function with the key "On". Both front hand control and rear foot control. With the key on, the tail light should be on and get brighter when the brakes are applied.
:plus1: Your park light is on.Oh,by the way,Welcome.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
alantf

"lock" is the position to lock the bars. "P" is the position that you DON'T want to go to. This puts the lights on when you park.

Sorry it's in Spanish, but so is my bike.[attachment=0:2cdt8i0p]img023.jpg[/attachment:2cdt8i0p]
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
grego

thank you for the warm welcome

my bad you were right there is a park on the ign. switch and yes it was in that position. i just downloaded the manuals for the bike. i did learn a lot about how the bike is wired so something positive came out of this traumatic experience. thanks again. and have a great day

grego

Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
mrlmd1

It never hurts to read the instruction manual (owner's manual) before using any new piece of equipment. :2tup:
Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Grego,

I did the same thing. Ran it all the way down. Twice. Did it once to the Strat too, when I left the key in the "On" position. I seemed to have learned my lesson as I haven't done it again in over a year. I recharged (both) batteries and they are still going strong. BTW I am also in Anaheim.