Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
wimpy002

Would you buy this bike?

So, I had a guy from a dealership I'd been talking to. Called me & said he has a 2007 GZ250 3400 miles he can get me out the door price $1500. It does have a ding in the gas tank & a crack in the front fender. That seems like an awfully good deal, coming from a dealer. Would the crack & the ding be that big of a deal? I haven't seen it yet, as it is over 100 miles away. If there were frame damage or any more serious damage from whatever caused the crack & ding, there should be more evident damage, wouldn't there?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Would you buy this bike?

Have him send you some pics of the entire bike and the specified damage. Then show us so we can gab about it for a while.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

A ding in the gas tank generally means the bike has been dropped. It's not the end of the world, but likely there will be other damage - typically to things like the mirrors, clutch or brake levers, pegs, directionals - basically anything that sticks out and whatever other part of the bike hit the ground. In most cases, none of this is serious mechanically, but, all things being equal, a non-dropped bike is preferred over a dropped one. $1500 is a good deal out the door. If you can get a 90 day mechanical and electrical warranty, I'd buy it.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
5th_bike

If it's just the crack and a ding (the ding is usually circular and caused by one of the signal lights being pressed into the tank): no big deal.
Mine had them too when I bought it, it still has the ding (and the scratches on the headlight, mirror, brake fluid reservoir and exhaust), and I replaced the front fender. I heard of a shop that can get the ding out but have not yet bothered.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
WowWhoaWeeWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy002
So, I had a guy from a dealership I'd been talking to. Called me & said he has a 2007 GZ250 3400 miles he can get me out the door price $1500. It does have a ding in the gas tank & a crack in the front fender. That seems like an awfully good deal, coming from a dealer. Would the crack & the ding be that big of a deal? I haven't seen it yet, as it is over 100 miles away. If there were frame damage or any more serious damage from whatever caused the crack & ding, there should be more evident damage, wouldn't there?
Hmm.... $1,500 for an 07 with 3400 miles and minor cosmetic damage. I think this answers my question. I'm looking at an 05, with 5500 for $1,999. After reading your post, I think $1,999 too much. I'll go and look at it; offer the dealer $1500 and see if he bites. It's the start of the season so I bet he'll get the $1,999 at some point this summer. Its hard to pass up. LOL

Old 05-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Strelok

Use Cycle Trader and/or E-Bay to see what prices are in your area in a 200 or 400 mile range
to judge what you're dealing with. It's really not fair for someone on the other side of the
country to tell you something's too much or you should pay what they did since their
market could be totally different than yours. Sure you could get one as cheap
if you traveled by vehicle & trailer, plane or had it shipped but add that
expense to the cost too. While the price you mention is not all that
unreasonable, I would try to find one without the dings & dents
unless you can find the replacement parts on E-Bay for a
fair price. And as you probably know it's the worst
time of the Year for a Buyer since the best
deals really happen in Fall/Winter.
Good Luck with the Hunt.

:2tup: