Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
hacc81

My first bike!!...

I'm new in the bike world, even though I've always wanted to have a bike... Well, I finally bought my first one!!... And what better starting point than a GZ?? Or Marauder 250 as is known here in Canada. I bought her used but in mint condition, 2008 with only 3,700 k's...

Let me show you some pictures taken yesterday. Even though it was freezing cold, it was really sunny and beautiful so I didn't mind take her for a spin...

Right now I'm looking for a decent All-Seasons Mesh Jacket, especially because I plan to commute everyday (more than 50k's daily). I already posted in other discussion that I'm trying to decide between 2 jackets, so you can give me your feedbackor different opinion at this link: http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4107

Hope you like her!!

[attachment=1:2lc12at4]Kayla_01.jpg[/attachment:2lc12at4]
[attachment=0:2lc12at4]Kayla_02.jpg[/attachment:2lc12at4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: My first bike!!...

I like that color.
Welcome!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
mole2

Welcome aboard and ride safe!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
alantf

Hi there,

Just a heads up. The bike you've bought is a Canadian/European spec. This means that it's set up richer than the American bikes (the American bikes are set up weaker to comply with their emission regs) That means that you should ignore anything posted on this site, with regard to carb mods. :2tup:

You can tell the difference, because the Canadian/European spec has a big plastic, 3D, Marauder logo on the tank. The American bikes have a flat "S".
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I've found (as others have suggested) a combo of a mesh jacket, with a liner, and a good quality rain jacket, (plus an assortment of thermal shirts of varying weights - some repurposed from skiwear) give you a range of about 38F to 95F. I also have a one pair of regular and one pair of rediculously thick gloves.

Couple of thing to check for on the mesh jacket:

1) don't get one that is too big or cannot not be cinched down to adjust for fewer layers/no liner. The flapping will wear your skin off.
2) check the fit near the bottom of your neck. Some of them have abrasive flaps that will annoy you at speed. you want the thing tight with no liner and a thin under layer. When it's hot, some people ride with no underlayer - but I think you're asking for bloddy nipples. (They have stick-on nipple covers in running stores they sell to marathon runners if this is an issue for anyone.)
3) Don't get one without a liner. If it gets cool, the liner less mesh is worthless as a layer.
4) Make sure your rain jacket will fit snugly - but not too tight - over it.

I got lucky with my setup as I bought the rain jacket before I discovered the mesh. I wear a combination of Underarmor/cotton T's, Nike long sleeves and ski tops underneath depending on how cold it gets. When you are riding mountains and desert, day and night, out here the temps can vary by as much as 50 degrees in a single day.

I've never fallen off at speed, but I suspect that the mesh does not offer anywhere near the protection of a traditional heavy leather jacket. Still, I prefer the mesh, even in the winter, such as it is, out here.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Excellant info Alan. I also find a rain jacket most useful over a mesh or textile jacket. A complete rain suit is always on board when I am out and about.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
hacc81

Hi all, thanks for your replies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I like that color.
Welcome!
jonathan180iq, I really like the color too! Actually, that was my deal sealer!! And because it was in mint conditions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Just a heads up. The bike you've bought is a Canadian/European spec. This means that it's set up richer than the American bikes (the American bikes are set up weaker to comply with their emission regs) That means that you should ignore anything posted on this site, with regard to carb mods. :2tup:
Hey alantf, thanks for the info, I had no idea about this difference... Good for me I guess! :2tup:

alanmcorcoran, thanks for your detailed explanation... Now I think I'll have a better idea of what to look for in a jacket...
Although my wife saw the Olympia Viper in black and neon yellow and she really liked it! She even told me that it could be my early anniversary present!! :rawk: :2tup:
And the best part is that my black rain jacket fits really good on top of the Olympia jacket... So, it could not be better!

[attachment=1:2zw8yjsz]2011_viper04.jpg[/attachment:2zw8yjsz]
[attachment=0:2zw8yjsz]2011_viper05.jpg[/attachment:2zw8yjsz]

Anyway, thanks all for your help and replies... It has been really helpful
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
hacc81

By the way, just in case, that's not me in the photos... :lol:
That was just to show you the model... My jacket is in the mail right now. Hope to get it this weekend!! :biggrin:
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
RamAir

Nice color bike bro more pics of it!!!

What kinda color is it? Silver somethying I am guessing.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #10
hacc81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir
Nice color bike bro more pics of it!!!
What kinda color is it? Silver somethying I am guessing.
Hey RamAir, the color is kinda light gray and it's really nice! I like it a lot!!
Actually the mint condition and the color of the bike were the deal sealers when I went to see it at the previous owner's house... :biggrin:

Unfortunately, I haven't taken more pictures of the bike, because I'm waiting for a nice sunny day to do it... And as you may know, that hasn't happened yet, not even here in the West Coast (except for last monday, but I was working... So it doesn't count! :lol: )... But I think next week we'll finally be able to see the sun and I'll try to take more pictures of the bike and my new gear :2tup: ... I can't wait!! :popcorn: