Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
mrlmd1

How not to load a motorcycle on to a truck

This is as good a place as any to put this.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/ind ... msg1379126

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: How not to load a motorcycle on to a truck

Having put a big bike in the back of a small toy hauler (with a much smaller - but wider ramp) you realize that you have to find a balance between enough momentum to get up the ramp and not so much that you fly through the truck once inside.

I think where he made his miscalculation is that, given the weird angles involved, it is difficult, if not impossible, to plant your feet once you are on an incline. The distance you have to go gets extended by 5-7 inches or more - if you are under six feet on a good size bike, you can't reach. Add in the narrow ramp and you have a recipe for disaster.

You have to have a nice controlled approach and do not lose forward momentum until you are clear of the end of the ramp. In the toy hauler I had less than 2 feet to come to a full stop. I won't be doing that again soon.

At least his friends didn't laugh at him and he walked away with both of his legs still functioning.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Hey Earl hold my beer and watch this. A recipe for disaster. Seems to me there were more than enough able bodied men available to push/pull the bike with no problems.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
burkbuilds

Wow. Makes me feel better about my riding skills after putting my 750 up an 8" wide ramp into the back of a Ford Ranger about a month ago. He just stopped short, why I don't know but you gotta get all the way up the ramp and into the truck before you stop. As Alan pointed out, there just isn't any place to put your feet down mid way up the ramp. I carried my 500 in a U-Haul truck last Summer, same type of ramp, no problems, including backing it down the ramp to get out of the truck, you simply keep going until you are off the ramp both ways. Kinda makes me wonder if his judgment might have been impaired somehow at that moment, or maybe he was a very inexperienced rider who felt the peer pressure of all his friends watching and tried to do something he was not ready for yet. I'm glad he didn't seem to be injured, I doubt if the same could be said for his bike.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
mrlmd1

Here's another method. Fail.