Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Mountain bike carrier

I seem to have a new neighbor with a passion for 2 wheeled forms of transportation. Quite ingenius and easy to use.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Mountain bike carrier

Does the rear wheel tilt or swivel for turning,or does it just follow along? :??: O_o

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

I was wondering that myself until I realized the bottom of the U has a vertically mounted big pin and bushing to allow the straight portion and rear wheel to track properly. The U itself is mounted with a rod through the bike's hollow rear axle to allow for road dips and speed bumps etc. So it actually will follow well and not upset the motorcycle dynamics. Basically it is a one wheel trailer with the electrical stuff and a plate to keep it legal. I doubt that most bikes would even feel the trailer behind it.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
mrlmd1

If the rod goes through the hollow rear axle there must be some kind of spacer in there on the outer ends of the axle or some kind of bearing on it to keep it separate from the axle, or the rotating axle rubbing on the rod would create all kinds of problems. Most bikes have solid axles, don't they?, so having this is a plus to make something like that. Pretty cool idea, probably pretty easy to put on and take off, and simple, so that it can turn around corners.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
dentheman

Is the mountain bike rack removeable so it can be replaced with racks suitable for a canoe, surf boards, camping gear, etc?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
mrlmd1

That would be great - to take your canoe or kayak or other stuff on a trip. Shouldn't be to hard to adapt that trailer to anything relatively light and streamlined.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
cayuse

Looks good. Is it home-made?

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If the rod goes through the hollow rear axle there must be some kind of spacer in there on the outer ends of the axle or some kind of bearing on it to keep it separate from the axle, or the rotating axle rubbing on the rod would create all kinds of problems. Most bikes have solid axles, don't they?, so having this is a plus to make something like that. Pretty cool idea, probably pretty easy to put on and take off, and simple, so that it can turn around corners.
Think back to the last time you adjusted the GZ chain. The axle is solidly torqued to the swing arm. There are inner bearings running on the axle so the wheel can rotate. The mounting rod for the trailer has very little movement in the rear axle so there is likely no wear and tear on any surfaces.
Solid and hollow axles do the same job but hollow axles weigh less and are probably stronger.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

I think this trailer is a home built or custom for the owner so I would well imagine the sky is the limit for adapting the design for things like canoes, giant coolers, storage boxes and the like.
I can see a lower main bar/body/frame to lower the center of gravity and a larger 12 inch trailer tire for less tire wear and rotational speeds. This would be great for packing camping gear in a large Rubber Maid waterproof box.
Something I did see a few years ago was a canoe packed with camping gear. The canoe had a set of the 8 inch wheels and a light weight mounting attached to it. The canoe WAS the trailer in reality. There was some kind of removable hitch up front to hook up to the bike.
Haven't talked to the new neighbor yet but I hope to satisfy my curiousity about the bike hauler.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
mrlmd1

Brain fart - dumb me, The axle is fixed and the wheel rotates on bearings around it - don't know what I was thinking, drinking, at the time.

Eight inch diameter wheels are really not very good for use at any higher speed on the road because of how fast they have to rotate on their bearings. At least a 12" wheel would be much better.
I think you would have to be nuts to use the canoe itself as a trailer but necessity is the mother of invention like they say. and to each his own.

You could probably just use a threaded rod through the axle for that trailer and just lock it on to the axle with the nuts with lockwashers on the ends.

Thinking about the GZ, as well as looking at my other 2 bikes, and at numerous parts fiches on Ron Ayers, all of the axles I have seen on there are solid rods, not hollow pipes. For this application (as an axle) I don't know if I agree that hollow pipes are stronger than a solid rod, but I do agree they weigh a little bit less. I just have not seen a bike with a hollow rear axle and I suppose they exist, but I wonder if that hollow axle was custom made to fit that rod and trailer on to the bike.