Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
SOSFrider

Smoke from under

Hey everyone,

So I've been a happy owner of a low-maintenance 2005 GZ250 for over a year with no problems. However, I recently noticed a funny smell when I was riding and I'm noticing a bit of smoke coming out from the grey metal part under the gas tank. There's also some black stains on the same part but only on the left side. Any feedback on what this could be? I feel like smoke is never a good thing but maybe it's an easy remedy.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
dentheman

Re: Smoke from under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSFrider
Hey everyone,

So I've been a happy owner of a low-maintenance 2005 GZ250 for over a year with no problems. However, I recently noticed a funny smell when I was riding and I'm noticing a bit of smoke coming out from the grey metal part under the gas tank. There's also some black stains on the same part but only on the left side. Any feedback on what this could be? I feel like smoke is never a good thing but maybe it's an easy remedy.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!
I'm afraid more information is needed. Is it the grey metal part that has a lot of fins on it and a couple shiny pipes that attach to the front and run back to a larger silver thingy on the right side, alongside that big round black thing that turns near the back?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
blaine

It sounds like you may have a wire touching a hot part on top of the engine.Just a guess without more info.Oh,by the way.Welcome.
:2tup: :??:

Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Is it the grey metal part that has a lot of fins on it and a couple shiny pipes that attach to the front and run back to a larger silver thingy on the right side, alongside that big round black thing that turns near the back?
Even I, the anti-mechanic, loll'ed at this. It would be pretty wild if the smoke was coming off the big round black thing that turns near the back though. Then everybody'd want to know what he did to the whatamacallit under the tank that has all the tubes and stuff going into it (and smells like gas!)
Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
SOSFrider

alanmcorcoran, no need to be a smart ass. I didn't pretend that I knew much about motorcycles and yes I'm new to understanding the mechanics of it. If you don't have anything helpful to contribute, I don't know why you're responding just to be a jerk.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
alantf

Quote:
I didn't pretend that I knew much about motorcycles
Yes, but you might try to let us understand what you're talking about! Most of us don't carry a crystal ball with us, all the time. Surely you can see that what you posted was pure gibberish. How the hell do you expect us to understand you, or even take you serious when we've no idea what you're on about.

BTW, if you intend to use this site regularly, you'll just have to get used to us not being politically correct little girlies - so chill out!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
bonehead

Might he mean the petcock? If that's it, why would smoke be coming from there? That would mean heat, and heat + gas = kaboom.
SOSFrider-we really need more specific info to help you out.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Might he mean the petcock?
He might mean ANYTHING! I've lots of "grey metal thingies" on my bike. Until he downloads the manual (hint, hint) and finds out what exactly the "thingy" is called, we're all just guessing.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
3-D Video

Quote:
I recently noticed a funny smell when I was riding and I'm noticing a bit of smoke coming out from the grey metal part under the gas tank. There's also some black stains on the same part but only on the left side.
I'm going to take a rough stab at it… you may have gotten fuel into your activated charcoal filter, and the black stuff may be the charcoal oozing out (along with some fuel). Most of us don't have to meet the California EPA standards, and don't have this canister. I've never seen one, nor have I seen it in the parts manual. But, the California gas tanks hold less to make room for it. That "bit of smoke" is a tad worrisome.
Can you get us a picture?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
alanmcorcoran, no need to be a smart ass. I didn't pretend that I knew much about motorcycles and yes I'm new to understanding the mechanics of it. If you don't have anything helpful to contribute, I don't know why you're responding just to be a jerk.
Sorry man. I actually was responding to dentheman's post, not yours, but yes, I have nothing to contribute to the problem. I also know (next to) nothing about motorcycles and apparently not much about the thickness of skin either!