Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
JarredD

Oil Leak / Cylinder gasket replacement?!?

Just got my 2006 GZ250 with 5500 miles on it and Im noticing a small leak on the left side where the cylinder gasket meets the base of the motor. It was all clean before when i bought it (last weekend) so I had no clue about the leak. It seems to be really small and slow, but I am concerned about any leaks. I was wiping down the motor and inspecting everything closely and noticed a small piece of black paper gasket sticking out on the left side between the head studs. I pulled it to break off the small piece hanging and the whole section between the studs slid out. Nothing spilled or anything like that. Just a piece of the paper gasket feel right out...

My questions:
Is this normal for this mileage?

Does anyone know if the motor needs to be removed to replace the cylinder gasket? (not the head gasket, but the part where the cylinder meets the base of the motor)

Any ideas on cost from a shop doing the work?

Anyone else have this issue?

I havent been able to further inspect the leak since this happened yesterday in teh evening...

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Jarred

P.S. I'll post pictures of what I am referring too as soon as i can take a look at it today... The bike is my only means of transporation right now so I'd like to fix this sooner than later!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Oil Leak / Cylinder gasket replacement?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarredD
My questions:
Is this normal for this mileage?
No. Leaks are not "normal" at any mileage.....well, below 50,000 or so.

I'm a little fuzzy about which came first, the leak or the piece of gasket coming out......and it might make a difference for the answers to the rest of the questions.

For future reference, it is NOT UNUSUAL for the edges of gaskets to stick out farther than you might think is normal......and you should not mess with the excess. If you MUST mess, a gentle trim with a VERY sharp knife (like a razor blade) is the only thing you should do.

Uneducatted (at this point) guesses:
The leak is at a spot where there likely is NO real oil pressure so it will continue to be just a very slow leak
AND
The engine probably would have to come out of the frame to pull the top to replace that gasket.......and thus might be very expensive.

I think you definitely need to consult a shop about the potential repairs.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
JarredD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I'm a little fuzzy about which came first, the leak or the piece of gasket coming out......and it might make a difference for the answers to the rest of the questions.
I noticed the leak first, then spotted the small piece of gasket hanging... Thought it was maybe tar buildup or some sort of gunk, then after pulling it off the whole section slid out... (it was odd the way the piece came out). I havent noticed a loss of power or anything (although i wouldnt be able to tell since i presume this leak was present since ive had the bike).

Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarredD
I noticed the leak first, then spotted the small piece of gasket hanging...

I havent noticed a loss of power or anything .
Gotta ask because it's not good to assume things: the leak and the gasket piece was in the SAME place, right ??

If it is where I think it is, it will have absolutely no impact on engine performance and will only allow oil to leak out.....maybe faster now since you pulled a piece of gasket out......but likely still very slowly.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:

Gotta ask because it's not good to assume things: the leak and the gasket piece was in the SAME place, right ??

If it is where I think it is, it will have absolutely no impact on engine performance and will only allow oil to leak out.....maybe faster now since you pulled a piece of gasket out......but likely still very slowly.
:plus1: If you continue to ride the bike you should at least check the torque of the head bolts as loose head bolts will affect performance.
:rawk:

Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
mrlmd1

Probably the leak was known by the previous owner and never disclosed to you, and that may be the reason he decided to sell it, rather than repair it because of the expense. You should confront him with that, or if you got it from a dealer, confront them. That is fraud, misrepresenting the condition of what you purchased, but you probably bought it "as is". Doubtful you caused the problem pulling a piece of gasket out, probably due to loose bolts. Just keep an eye on your oil level and the size of the leak over time.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
JarredD

Quote:
the leak and the gasket piece was in the SAME place, right ??

Yes the leak and the place where the gasket came out are the same spot. I look in the service manual and this is the cylinder gasket. I called a few shops and they said probably a few hours to replace and around $300 labor + parts. They also said that riding on it may make it worse... Is the guy just gassing me up so that i'll bring it in to get fixed? or is this really something to worry about?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
blaine

This needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.His quote seems quite reasonable.as there is a fair bit of labour involved.I would get a written work order with quote before repairs begin.Good luck.

:itsokay: :yes:

Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The base gasket for the cylinder is a pretty important item. I would be very concerned about riding the bike without having it repaired properly. If the gasket deteriorates the cylinder will not be snugged down and a lot of parts will be affected.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The base gasket for the cylinder is a pretty important item. I would be very concerned about riding the bike without having it repaired properly. If the gasket deteriorates the cylinder will not be snugged down and a lot of parts will be affected.
Yes but given the bikes age and mileage, I doubt that the gasket will further "deteriorate".
And while I agree that you should NOT just ride it and keep adding oil over the long term, as long as the leak stays small I'd have no qualms about riding it for a few weeks until it is convenient to fix.

I agree that the estimated repair price is very reasonable, to the point that it should be documented......AND specifically understood that you will get a whole new gasket and not just some RTV shoved in the crack.