Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
awf

Reserve tank issue

Hi guys,

I am a new rider with limited mechanical skills but willing to get my hands dirty. I have had my 2000 model GZ for three months and am loving it, I decided to do an experiment and see what the range of a full tank was so on the way to work yesterday it started to splutter at 370 kms (230 miles) at which point I turned the switch to the reserve tank and it continued to splutter not getting me more than a couple of kms. I left it on the side of the road, brought a jerry can back to it after work, filled up and it wouldn't start, just spluttered away as if it was out of fuel.

The previous owner was a woman, she had only put 16,000 kms on it over the course of ten years, I have put 2000 on it already. I am wondering if she had ever used the reserve tank being a careful rider, and if not could there have been a build up of crap etc in it?

The forums posts I have read seem to suggest that a carb clean out may be the way to go, at the moment it is still on the side of the road, is there a roadside fix I can give it to get it 20 kms home?

Also, I don't know much about the reserve tank, how far should it get me? Should it be used fairly often to keep it fresh? Any other advice would be great.

Thanks, Andy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Reserve tank issue

The reserve tank is not a separate tank,but the bottom of the main tank.The reserve tank will take you about 50 miles.It sounds like the pick- up tube has fallen off the petcock leaving you with no reserve fuel when needed.It is a common problem on the G.Z.Do a search there is lots of info on the problem & the fix.Turn the petcock to "prime" than try to start.When started don't forget to put lever back to "run" position.

:itsokay:

Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
awf

Thanks Blaine,

When starting last night I did put the fuel switch on 'prime' for a while and then turned to 'on', tried to start it for ten minutes before the battery went flat! So as far as you are concerned there shouldn't any crap in the carbies, it's just a case of getting the fuel into the lines again?

Andy

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Make sure you're using the switch right (ie. pointing it in the right direction).
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by awf
Thanks Blaine,

When starting last night I did put the fuel switch on 'prime' for a while and then turned to 'on', tried to start it for ten minutes before the battery went flat! So as far as you are concerned there shouldn't any crap in the carbies, it's just a case of getting the fuel into the lines again?

Andy
Should start almost immediately.It may be dirt,trying tapping the bottom of the carb to see if that gets fuel flowing.Did you have fuel line off at carb to see if you have fuel flowing when in "prime" position.Prime is pointing down to the ground.
:lol: :cool:

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Viirin

If the stand pipe on the reserve setting has fallen off the petcock and is floating around inside the tank you might have a bit of a problem - I'm not trying to send a panic your way or anything but the pipe is the only filtration the fuel gets before entering the carb so if it was loose in the tank and you ran the bike till it was at the bottom of the tank - some of the crap that accumulates at the bottom of fuel tanks may have been pulled into the carb.

I had the same problem with the spluttering and all when i first got my bike so if dirt in the carb is indeed your problem your going to hear a lot about sea foam additive - this stuff should clean out the carb if you can get the bike running but if you can't - you can always spray some carb cleaner straight into the carb through the air box - this isn't the most thorough clean you can do but if the bike is still at the side of the road then it might be the roadside fix that'll get you that 20km needed to get home.

If you manage to get the bike home get a "in-line fuel filter" from your dealer - they cost about €4, double the protection from dirt in the fuel going into the tank and are simple to put on - trust me, even i managed to fit one and i'm a complete moron

Let us know if you have any questions.
Best of luck with the bike and let us know if you get it off the side of the road!

Vii
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
GTGZ

I rebuilt a rack of four carbs on a '81 Honda CB750C that the PO had used spray carb cleaner as starting fluid. Most of the rubber parts turned into goo and cloged the carbs. Use starting fluid (ether) or brake parts cleaner, it will not damage rubber parts.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGZ
I rebuilt a rack of four carbs on a '81 Honda CB750C that the PO had used spray carb cleaner as starting fluid. Most of the rubber parts turned into goo and cloged the carbs. Use starting fluid (ether) or brake parts cleaner, it will not damage rubber parts.
This was true back then,not now because there are no rubber parts used in today's carbs.Ether if used in excess will ruin a engine,a lot of automotive stores won't stock it.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
awf

Thanks for your advice guys, the bike is now back home.

I removed the fuel line and fuel poured out when it was on 'prime', I had to bump start it as I wound the battery down trying to start it last night and it went second go. It seems to have lost a bit of power though, I don't know whether this is because I used lower grade fuel or whether there is some rubbish in the carbs from the bottom of the tank.

I'll look into the seafoam and the filter thanks Viirin.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by awf
It seems to have lost a bit of power though, I don't know whether this is because I used lower grade fuel
Doubtful. The GZ is designed to run on cat's piss if needed. :2tup: