Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Luggage/Camping

I've assembled the clothing and shelter items discussed in the previous camping threads (so I am closer to taking an actual bike camping trip if for no other reason than to justify the expense.)

I've been looking at motorcycle luggage systems and thought I'd tap the brain trust again. I'm going to use my Strat (I considered renting an "adventure bike" but I think I'm going to wait to see if I want to take more than one "adventure" and also see how the Strat does first.) It has a quick release passenger back rest (seems to be commonly know as a "sissy" bar.) Yesterday I ordered a Yamaha quick release luggage rack that attaches to the sissy. It seems that sissy bars and luggage racks are pretty important when it comes to luggage. I do not have the trunk that you'd find on a gold wing or a Harley tourer.

There appears to be at least eight types of motorcycle luggage: Toolkit/Forkbag, Windshield/handlebar bag, panniers, tank bag, saddlebags, backseat bags, bags that attach to the back of the sissy (t-bag?) and "top rolls" that attach to the top of the bag on the back of the sissy.

I'm going to go with my integrated hardbags for now (even though they are oddly shaped and more for looks than utility.) I'm not sure I will bother with tank, toolkit, windshield or panniers as I don't like stuff up there. There's a specilly made tank bag that has a cutout for the speedo (in the gas tank on the Strat) but they are sold out/backordered.

So my interest lies in backseat bags and/or sissy bar bags (t-bags?) Any thoughts? recommendations? Are there some better suited to camping or any that will double as a backpack? I saw some cheap leather sets on e-bay, but I'm inclined to go nylon/waterproof.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Luggage/Camping

Alan check out Nelson-Rigg and Cortech for their selection of bags and top cases. Lynda has N-R fabric bags and expanding fabric top case that works very well without getting into 100's of $.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
mrlmd1

Why can't you just get a waterproof duffle bag or similar style soft luggage bag and bungy/strap it down to the rear seat and sissy bar, and if you need another one for more storage, put it to the rear of the sissy bar on the luggage rack and similarly tie it down? Both duffles can be either vertical or horizontal, with the sissy bar sandwiched between them. That would be much cheaper than motorcycle specific luggage and more versatile.
My friend last year on his Harley made the trip from Fl. to Sturgis and back and he did something like that, plus had a banjo in a case strapped on and made a tent/sleeping bag carrier out of a length of 6" diam. PVC pipe (with removable end caps to keep water out) that was fixed across his luggage rack that he stuffed the tent and bag into. It all worked very well for his 3000 mile trip and he had no problems.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Why can't you just get a waterproof duffle bag or similar style soft luggage bag and bungy/strap it down to the rear seat and sissy bar, and if you need another one for more storage, put it to the rear of the sissy bar on the luggage rack and similarly tie it down? Both duffles can be either vertical or horizontal, with the sissy bar sandwiched between them. That would be much cheaper than motorcycle specific luggage and more versatile.
I'm sure some combination of this would work - it's pretty much how I handle things now when I ride to the tennis or racquetball courts. When I ventured out last year up PCH to Monterey, I didn't even have any luggage - just my two saddlebags. However, half the fun for me on these adventures (maybe more than half) is playing with the toys that go with. The drawback of the non-specific duffles are potential for weight shift when underway (the dedicated luggage is shaped and rigged for maximum stability) and, to a lesser extent, lack of utility if you plan on hiking to a campsite once underway. I'm kind of looking for a the best combination of a backseat/t-bag and mid-weight backpack - if such a thing exists. I've seen some stuff from a company called T-bag that comes pretty close - bags with integrated shoulder straps, but they look like they might be super heavy. I try to avoid throwing money directly into the furnace, but admittedly, the economics of the gear is not my first consideration. Mainly looking to leverage the collective experience of the GZ gang, but I get that this is a small cruiser and not the ideal site for gathering camping/touring wisdom.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Alan check out Nelson-Rigg and Cortech for their selection of bags and top cases. Lynda has N-R fabric bags and expanding fabric top case that works very well without getting into 100's of $.
Thanks WW. I've seen some Cortech stuff, (also Kuryakyn[?]) but I don't recall looking at Nelson-Rigg. I will check them out. Has anyone bought anything from the "T-Bag" company?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Alan you might also check the New Enough website. They get some smoking deals on luggage once in a while. N-R also has a unequaled warranty.