Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
SWASHBUCKLER

Flat Rear Tire

We recently punctured our rear tire and tried to get it plugged only to find out it is a tube tire. Having plugged the tire we are unsure if we should replace both tire and tube to be on the safe side. We can't figure out what size tube it takes because many of the tube sizes listed are not the metric size which we need. Tire is a 130/90-15 so what standard size tube would work and where is the best place to get tires and tubes?

Billy Graham

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Flat Rear Tire

The tire should have a vulcanized patch on the inside of the tire.Many 15 inch tubes will fit different width 15 inch tires as the tube expands to fill the tire. :rawk:

Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
GZ250

Contact your local store or http://www.bikebandit.com/ is a good place. A slightly bigger tube will be okay as well. Last fall I bought two tires and tubes from them. These are tubeless tires but on GZ you need a tube and tubes go with tubeless without a trouble. The tires are good. Just to clarify that the front tire is expensive than the rear. I did not understand this.

Shinko 230 Tourmaster (rear)
Continental Ultra TKV 11/12 (front)

Old 07-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWASHBUCKLER
only to find out it is a tube tire.

Having plugged the tire we are unsure if we should replace both tire and tube to be on the safe side.
When the wheel has spokes, the tire has a tube.

If it was a small, clean puncture, in the tread and NOT the sidewall.....then a plug and a new tube should be all that's required.

If you took a BIG object, such that it made a big, uneven hole......OR the puncture was in the side-wall or the very edge of the tread....then you probably need tube AND a new tire.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
emory70

spoke rims are usually tubeless, but the rebel 450 had tubeless rims. the rim was one piece with the spokes hooking to the rim, and the nipples were in the hub.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory70
spoke rims are usually tubeless, but the rebel 450 had tubeless rims. the rim was one piece with the spokes hooking to the rim, and the nipples were in the hub.
No,The other way around.Rims with spokes usually have tubes unless it is like the rebel that you speak of,or the wheel is cast.
:rawk:

Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

36 spokes hooked into a rim means you have 36 places to leak air if no tube is used. Cast wheels usually are equiped with tubless tires but there are a few exceptions. If you have tubless tires on spoked wheels there is probably a tube inside. There are no ill effects running a tube in a tubeless tire.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
36 spokes hooked into a rim means you have 36 places to leak air if no tube is used. Cast wheels usually are equiped with tubless tires but there are a few exceptions. If you have tubless tires on spoked wheels there is probably a tube inside. There are no ill effects running a tube in a tubeless tire.
The spokes hook to the outside of the rim,leaving the rim one piece for tubeless tires.A lot of the MOTO GUZZI came with the same concept.
Also the valve stem hole on a tubeless tire is larger to accommodate the valve stem.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The spokes hook to the outside of the rim,leaving the rim one piece for tubeless tires.A lot of the MOTO GUZZI came with the same concept. Also the valve stem hole on a tubeless tire is larger to accommodate the valve stem.
BMW has made some models like that, although I don't think any of them are current. I could be wrong about the second statement.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The spokes hook to the outside of the rim,leaving the rim one piece for tubeless tires.A lot of the MOTO GUZZI came with the same concept. Also the valve stem hole on a tubeless tire is larger to accommodate the valve stem.
BMW has made some models like that, although I don't think any of them are current. I could be wrong about the second statement.
They are still used somewhat,but if you get a bent wheel they are very hard to get true again as they cannot be straightened the same as a conventional spoked wheel.
:smallrawk: