Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
tomtom7

Next mission: draining the float bowl

Now that I got my bike running again, I want it to purr. Right now it sputters on occasion, and it stalled on me a couple of times while I was stopped at a light.

I've already put in some carb cleaner in the tank, but it's pretty full (with month old fuel) so I'd like to try draining the float bowl to see what it does. The next mission after this will be to drain the whole tank, if needed.

I'm going to follow the directions that I found from one of Easyrider's posts:

Quote:
...On the bottom of the carb is a little pipe sticking down (nipple). A the top of it there is a brass screw. If you loosen that brass screw, ...
I'm guessing that the little pipe is the "carburetor overflow hose" found on pg. 216 of the service manual. I'll look for that screw. I'm going to use some old Tupperware to catch the discharge, since I don't have any glass jars lying around. I'll also turn the prime on for a bit after to give it a good flush.

Does everything seem ok with what I'm planning? Any suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated. I actually had to google "carburetor" today to figure out where it was on the bike... Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Tom

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Next mission: draining the float bowl

Your right on track.You found the best troubleshooting aid of all.The "search" button. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom7
Any suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated. I actually had to google "carburetor" today to figure out where it was on the bike...
Er yes, my suggestion/warning is - If you don't even know what a carb looks like, or where it is on the bike, then don't even think about working on it. You could end up doing more damage than good!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
You could end up doing more damage than good!
While I generally agree with that, I think just about anybody can loosen the drain screw and let a little gas out, don't you ??

Maybe I should add that it is necessary to tighten the screw again when the draining is done ????? :roll: :crackup

And yes, Tom, you are right on track; you even managed to figure out what PRIme actually does. :2tup:
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
tomtom7

Haha thanks guys. I'm the type of guy that researches something to death before making a move so don't worry Alantf. Googling "carburetor" was only the first step, of many, of my research

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
tomtom7

Finally made some time to do it today. I didn't notice anything strange with what came out. There was a small layer of pink liquid towards the bottom, but I'm guessing that's the gumout? Anyways, the bike seems to be running and idleing (sp?) a lot smoother now. Don't know if the float bowl drain had anything to do with it.

I'm really enjoying this process of learning how to maintain my bike. Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks for all of the great help and advice.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
blaine

Chain adjustment,cleaning,and lubrication.It should be done every 1000 kms or sooner if in dirty conditions.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Chain adjustment,cleaning,and lubrication.It should be done every 1000 kms or sooner if in dirty conditions.
Whoa partner, check chain for any adjustment needed. We don't want anyone to think the adjustment is a given every 1000 kms.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom7
There was a small layer of pink liquid towards the bottom, but I'm guessing that's the gumout?
No, there shouldn't be any layers of anything in the fuel that comes out.

Things like water settle to the bottom of the float bowl and draining is the best way to get rid of it .......sometimes the ONLY way if it's not water.

Since you did notice some odd stuff, you might want to do it again after burning one or two tankfuls of gas. If there was any extra "gunk" in the tank, it might end up in the bowl.

I think you are doing good so far. What's next ??
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Whoa partner, check chain for any adjustment needed. We don't want anyone to think the adjustment is a given every 1000 kms.
Nor do we want anyone to think that lubing the chain is to be done ONLY every 1000 kms (700 miles ??). I put a few drops of oil on mine about every 250 miles.....or every second fuel fillup.

Can we find anything ELSE in that post to take a jab at ???? :poke2:

:biggrin: