Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
OscarV

Tune Up

I recently purchased my 2005 GZ 250. As I do not know if the previous owner kept the maintenance schedule I want to change the oil, oil filter, spark plug, and air filter. Is this going overboard? :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Tune Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarV
I recently purchased my 2005 GZ 250. As I do not know if the previous owner kept the maintenance schedule I want to change the oil, oil filter, spark plug, and air filter. Is this going overboard? :??:
No! By no means! These are things that SHOULD have BEEN done, & if you don't know, SHOULD be done. Go ahead & do them, for your own peace of mind, then you're not wondering?????????? Apart from anything else, the bike should run better. You might also like to run some carb cleaner with the fuel, to clear the carb (the carb is the achilles heel of the GZ) :2tup: :2tup: The air filter might be expensive, so you might want to check/clean it before replacing it, although it depends on the mileage of the bike.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
blaine

Welcome to the flock.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

When checking the air filter you have to look inside it. The air actually flows from the inside to the outside. The inside will tell you it's condition. Also you might want to add an inline gas filter between the tank and petcock to stop the crude that makes it past the intank fuel filter. They are cheap, easy to install and are normally clear plastic so you can monitor their condition. You may also want to check the valves before too long. If you can't do it yourself, I didn't, pay a shop to do it. It is only a one hour job after the engine is cooled down. A little TLC will keep your bike happy and you riding.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarV
The air filter might be expensive, so you might want to check/clean it before replacing it, although it depends on the mileage of the bike.
Here is a air filter that is alot cheaper than stock and just as good.It is listed for a G.S 500. but is a direct bolt in. HIFLO-FILTRO-HAF-3503. Can be bought for around $15.00.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

HIFLO oil filter is a HF 136. Cheaper than Suzuki OEM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Here is a air filter that is alot cheaper than stock and just as good.It is listed for a G.S 500. but is a direct bolt in. HIFLO-FILTRO-HAF-3503. Can be bought for around $15.00.
Do you have one? Is it OK ?

Need to be careful with that as the engine design depends on a given restriction in the air input to keep the mixture right. If the restriction is less, it makes the mixture even leaner than it already is and the bike doesn't run well.

For a demo of that effect, try to run it a short way without any filter at all.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
dannylightning

the day i get a bike, i check every thing out including all cables and any thing else you can think of, i change the oil and all of that good stuff and get out the tool kit and make sure every thing is tight, don't want the handle bars falling off on me lol
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Do you have one? Is it OK ?

Need to be careful with that as the engine design depends on a given restriction in the air input to keep the mixture right. If the restriction is less, it makes the mixture even leaner than it already is and the bike doesn't run well.

For a demo of that effect, try to run it a short way without any filter at all.

We have discussed this air filter many times, I am the one who first introduced it to the site, and I ran them exclusively on the gz, there is no real restriction difference (that I could tell) to speak of with these filters.
The only big difference in them is the mounting plate is metal and not plastic, and it doesn't have that down tube on the inside part of the filter that suzuki puts in theirs, it has a lot throatier sound to it on the intake side because of that, but other than that, the only difference I saw in them was in my wallet.

[EDIT] [Disclaimer] I don't have the GZ anymore, and I can't recall if I had done the needle shim/ fuel mixture screw mod to it before I first tried this air filter or not, so that could be a variable you need to consider if you try this air filter.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
The only big difference in them is the mounting plate is metal and not plastic, and it doesn't have that down tube on the inside part of the filter that suzuki puts in theirs,
Tilt.

Can't comment on the end plates ( "mounting" plate?) but I certainly don't remember seeing anything like a "tube" on the stock filter.

Are you talking about air box mods........or is this just a "senior moment".......for one of us ???

[edit] Maybe you are talking about the deflector that the stock filter has on the inlet ??