Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
joshf123

master cylinder view is cracked

i have accidentally cracked the small white plastic circular piece on the master cylinder and now brake fluid leaks from it. i'm not sure what that part is called. it's a little view where you can see your brake fluid level. i'm trying to find the cheapest way to replace this and stumbled upon

http://www.powersportspartsonline.com/S ... 23207.html

i'm thinking that would replace the outside part of the master cylinder and in effect replace the part i cracked. i'm not going to order this until i know it will fix my problem. the guy at my local bike shop said i would need the entire assembly which is $130. i hope he is mistaken

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
bonehead

Re: master cylinder view is cracked

That is just a chrome cap that screws onto the master cyl. If you can find the sight glass seperate, which I really doubt, then you will need the master cyl. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
JWR

Yes, that is the sight glass.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
blaine

BONEHEAD is right you will need entire master cylinder.Be careful brake fluid will ruin painted surfices.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf123
the guy at my local bike shop said i would need the entire assembly which is $130. i hope he is mistaken
Short of putting some epoxy on it......which might not work either.....I'm afraid he is right.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Don't go cheap with an almost fixed it idea. You are talking about a front brake that is your first line of defence on the street. Surely your life is worth $130 + tax.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
GZ250

I park my motorcycle outside so this winter the weather did the job. the same issue with me. one morning the sight glass looked fuzzy and rubbed that small sight glass (rather plastic) with my finger and it cracked. The brake fluid leaked and I cleaned it with a tissue. As others and the local bike guy said you need the whole master cyliner and it is expensive $$$. Or if you can replace the sight glass (plastic).

In my case the original plastic is still there it is just cracked. So I searched my junk stuff where I keep things which mean nothing to others but they are very useful in situations. I cut a small plastic circle (use a penny) and you have to trim that also to make it smaller. I glued it on top of the original plastic with the instant glue and covered with a tissue. The tissue-glue got integrated and now it is not leaking. It is good now. Definitely I cannot see the fluid level any more but you do not need to check level each day. When you need, open the cover and check the level.

This is kind of temporary and when I will have time I will cut a more smooth and right size plastic and glue to that place.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
music man

Yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Your brake system is pressurized, what are you going to do one day when you really need that front brake and you squeeze down real hard and your homemade glued on remedy comes flying off of there and you all of a sudden you don't have any brakes, you will be S.O.L.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Not to mention your paintjob will be toast.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Your brake system is pressurized, what are you going to do one day when you really need that front brake and you squeeze down real hard and your homemade glued on remedy comes flying off of there and you all of a sudden you don't have any brakes, you will be S.O.L.

Your brake system is only pressurized from cylinder to the caliber, there is no pressure in the reservoir.This doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced.