Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
burkbuilds

It's Snowing in Atlanta in March!

This is about the sixth or seventh snow we've had in Atlanta this Winter. I know you guys up North get that in a week all Winter long, but this is Atlanta, the South- think warm climate. They closed my school and cancelled classes again today. The interstates around Atlanta looked more like a demolition derby this morning. I was going to miss class whether they canceled or not, it's not worth getting run over or laying the bike down just to get to class. Really, not a lot of snow, maybe an inch around the house but slushy streets and drivers who have trouble learning to slow down and allow some room between vehicles makes it very dangerous. Maybe Atlanta should put in a bid for the next Winter Olympic games?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: It's Snowing in Atlanta in March!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Maybe Atlanta should put in a bid for the next Winter Olympic games?
I would make some smart-ass comment but..........I was there last month for the 4 inches you had.

I kind of liked it; reminded me of home......and cut the traffic WAY down. :cool:

I met a fellow Shadow rider down around Plains.......and he said: "If you're gonna bring this crap with you, you can't come back......ever again." :biggrin:
Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
dhgeyer

It hit 50 here in New Hampshire today, and was mostly sunny. I did 110 miles, mostly on the Interstate over to North Hampton and back. It does seem like the South has had about as much snow as we have this year. We have had very little for this part of the country. We went for about a month in late January and part of February with none at all.

Of course we did have that near hurricane last week that knocked out power for 360,000 households/businesses, some of which are still in the dark. We were out for about a day.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Snowed in LA County (at elevation) over the weekend (6-8 inches) and is supposed to again tonight. But that's at 6-8K. I did see a number of Harleys up there the next morning after the roads were cleared. We have something going on called El Nino which has something to do with Pacific Ocean temperatures but essentially means - it's probably gonna rain a lot this year.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

ALAN............rain gear is your friend. And it goes on the outside for best results.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I had it stowed in the saddlebag for an outing this evening. I'm not really that concerned about getting wet. I just don't like riding on wet pavement in Southern California on two wheels. It seems like it is extra slippery here and not unlike driving on ice. In addition, California drivers are not used to driving in the rain and it's like bumper cars out there whenever there is precipitation. I have a TourMaster rain jacket that fits over my Motorhead "regular" jacket. So far it has yet to see action.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
California drivers are not used to driving in the rain and it's like bumper cars out there whenever there is precipitation.
:plus1: & double :plus1: for Tenerifian drivers!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

What amazes me about rain and cages is the lack of common sense. It rains, can get slippery, visibility goes south and people speed up to get home/work sooner. Are they afraid the car will spring a leak and drown them ??
Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Actually, most of them do slow down out here. Waaaayyy down. Except for a few. That speed up. And hit the ones that haved slooooowwwwed down. California drivers are a very strange lot. They are among the fastest in the US (or used to be before tickets became the new California tax) and will do 85 in NASCAR like packs on the freeway when the sun is shining, but, they slow way down for rain and, again, in the fall when the days get shorter and it gets dark early. Highway speeds in New Jersey rain are only slightly less than than when it's not raining. I guess because rain is so rare out here, nobody ever gets used to driving in it, and I suspect few cars have wiper blades up to the task.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
dannylightning

All im going to say is we ohio folks get snow storms from time to time so severe that if your not driving a 4x4 you might just halve to stay home till the plow trucks come out. my 4x4 wit big mud tires on it got stuck in a parking lot and i had to have 2 guys help push me out of the parking spot.