Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
billyedtimmy

Chain Adjustment Question

Ok, the chain was way out of spec after 300 kilometres (was able to push it up in the middle all the way to the swing arm, which is way more than the 15mm spec the owners manual recommends), so I loosened the swingarm bolt and tightened the nuts on each side just a little so that the wheel moved back a bit and got the chain to the right setting and tightened the swing axel nut back.

Well, as best i can tell, I have both sides set exactly between two of the guide 'notches' on the swingarm, so according to the specs it SHOULD be aligned. However, when I put the bike up on the rear stand and ran the bike on first gear, I can notice just a bit of wheel wobble. Not huge, but it is noticable. What the heck? I loosed the axel nut and tried adjusting a bit again, but as best I can tell each side is as close to the reference line as the other. Am I missing something? Why would it have any wobble at all? Admittedly, I need a torque wrench to make sure I'm tightening the axel nut to the 56lb/ft specification, but I got it pretty tight already, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem (but is it?).

Any advice appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Chain Adjustment Question

Just a thought here. Is the rim itself wobbling a bit or the tire that appears that way?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
bonehead

My 2 cents: A wobble(lt to rt runout) would be an indication of a slightly bent rim. Miss aligned axle will produce a "dog tracking effect".

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyedtimmy
However, when I put the bike up on the rear stand and ran the bike on first gear, I can notice just a bit of wheel wobble. Not huge, but it is noticable. What the heck?
As others have said, you are mixing up two different things. The chain/axle alignment is to set the rear wheel pointing in exactly a straight forward direction....and using the marks is usually plenty close enough for that.

The wheel wobble you noticed is caused by a tire or rim that it "out of true". Just a tiny bit of that is not unusual, especially with a spoked wheel. If it is bad, you need to look for a shop experienced in true'ing a spoked wheel. Resist the temptation to do it yourself; it is an art.......and it might just be the tire.

P.S. If you are having to adjust the chain every 300 km, something is drastically WRONG. Keep a close eye on it.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
billyedtimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
However, when I put the bike up on the rear stand and ran the bike on first gear, I can notice just a bit of wheel wobble. Not huge, but it is noticable. What the heck?
As others have said, you are mixing up two different things. The chain/axle alignment is to set the rear wheel pointing in exactly a straight forward direction....and using the marks is usually plenty close enough for that.

The wheel wobble you noticed is caused by a tire or rim that it "out of true". Just a tiny bit of that is not unusual, especially with a spoked wheel. If it is bad, you need to look for a shop experienced in true'ing a spoked wheel. Resist the temptation to do it yourself; it is an art.......and it might just be the tire.

P.S. If you are having to adjust the chain every 300 km, something is drastically WRONG. Keep a close eye on it.
Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I assumed the wobble was related to my not doing the adjustment right, since it's my first try. I'll check the rim vs the tire and see what's up. Hopefully the chain won't need adjustment this often. I suspect it was this loose to begin with new, but I only recently read the manual and checked.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
I suspect it was this loose to begin with new, but I only recently read the manual and checked.
Hopefully that's the case. "Things" might not have been properly tightened.
After it's all buttoned back up, re-check the adjusting screws to be sure they are still snug. That will help keep the axle from slipping.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Chains will stretch initially when breaking in and also near the end of their useful life. Remember, when adjusting your chain it is better to be a little on the loose side than too tight.