Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
redviper239

My first few days of riding.

So as anyone who has been reading the new posts, has figured out I passed my MSF, obtained my endorsement and started riding my GZ. Well in the three days I've been riding I've gotten to experience many things and still keep that smile on my face. It all started when i got to experience the thrill of riding the bike legally on a major street *45+mph* I clearly remember how great it felt dancing with her and having the wind hit my face. :cool: With that said I should mention that at that time I was just wearing a half helmet and some glasses which was working out fine for me. My second day riding I got to experience what it is like riding in the rain. Though while I was warned that it isn't the greatest of things I didn't really mind the light rain, even if it did feel like sandpaper being dragged across my face. Not so much a pain but more of an annoyance. Lesson from that day was to invest in a full face helmet just in case I go riding in an actual rain, or even get caught in one for that matter. :lol: Since then I've gotten to experience a fantastic ride down a street bordering the ocean *attached is an image from that day* Though my latest experience is was just this evening, while I pulled up to my house I had the brilliant idea that I should go get gas this morning rather then having to leave early for work tomorrow and picking it up. So I head back out and about a mile down the road my bike dies, being the new rider that I am I had done a sufficient amount of research (so I like to think) and came to the conclusion that she ran out of fuel. Rather then holding up traffic while I figured this out I pushed her onto the side of the road reached down and switched her to reserve. To my shock :shocked: nothing happened shake the bike and yep she's bone dry :lol: No worries though called a buddy got some gas and now she's on full. Guess I get to get some more wrench time in on the bike checking to see if that standpipe fell off the petlock or not can't wait. With all that said I can't wait to head out on the road tomorrow morning wondering what I might learn next, I honestly don't think I would change a thing these past few days... well perhaps but that would be just to have more miles, day 3 and 140 miles down; infinite to go

Oh one last thing, what kinds of waves do you folks do to other bikers. I've been catching myself taking my clutch hand and just tossing to fingers out to the side kinda a peace sign facing downward to the road. :rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: My first few days of riding.

Sounds like you are having good time. Ran out of gas huh. Bummer but it happens. If you do tear apart the gas petcock you might as well put in an inline fuel filter from the petcock to the carb. Real cheap insurance to keep the carb garbage free. You will probably disturb all sorts of nasties when you fix the tank outlet. An auto parts store is probably cheapest and easiest for the fuel filter. They generally stock parts for small engines. A clear plastic filter is good so you can monitor the filter element.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Before you do all that, make sure you didn't already have the swithc flipped to reserve. It's not intuitive and it's a common mistake. If you have good eyesight and look really close you can see an arrow on the switch. Look elsewhere on the site for some clear photos showing the three positions.

There's few things in life as much fun as the first couple of hundred miles on a motorcycle. Glad you are having fun.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by redviper239
Lesson from that day was to invest in a full face helmet just in case I go riding in an actual rain,
If you REALLY want a full face helmet, that's fine. Personally I hate the enclosed feeling, but that's just a personal thing. I always wear a ¾ that's got a flip down clear visor, so when it rains & I flip it down, the only part left uncovered is my mouth, & my moustache covers that. For a new rider it might be worth trying on several different types until you find one that feels right for YOU. :2tup:
Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Before you do all that, make sure you didn't already have the swithc flipped to reserve.
Yes....many riders have made that mistake........MANY, MANY !! :roll:

If you reset the trip odometer and fill up about 120-150 miles, you will never run out of gas, regardless of where you have the switch set.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
SlyFinkley

Hi,
I too am about to embark on my first real bike.
( I have owned a scooter for 18 months & upgraded to a GZ250 1998 8800km on it)

I have to pick it up this weekend and ride home 350 km. The first 150 on highways at 110 km/h (about 70 Mp/h )
Then I can stick to the coast.

As this is my first bike, Is there any advice on what to look out for mechanically?

Thanks
Sly

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124
:chop: :chop: :chop:
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
SlyFinkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFinkley
Hi,
I too am about to embark on my first real bike.
( I have owned a scooter for 18 months & upgraded to a GZ250 1998 8800km on it)

I have to pick it up this weekend and ride home 350 km. The first 150 on highways at 110 km/h (about 70 Mp/h )
Then I can stick to the coast.

As this is my first bike, Is there any advice on what to look out for mechanically?

Thanks
Sly
Forgot to mention, I have downloaded the owners manual & service manual.
But the temperature will be about 36 degree Celsius = 96.8 degree Fahrenheit, So am concerned about cooking it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Kind of a quick introduction to a "real" bike. I can't help you too much with the mechanics, but I'm gonna guess the tires could be old. I'd also just check the front brake, the clutch and the two pedals. Pay attention to your mileage - there's no gas gauge. Fill up every 120-140 if you want to be conservative. Make sure you know how to work the reserve switch.

Check the headlight, taillight and turn signals. Be careful you don't accidently leave the parking lights on.

Make sure the mirrors are tight and can be adjusted. Dress properly and don't let your shin (or skin) touch the exhaust.

Check the oil in the glass. Ask them when they changed it last. Have the guy show you how to use the choke - the amount and necessity for it varies.

If it starts, it'll probably run well enough to get home. If they have trouble starting it, you will too - and the battery is easily drained.

Oh, you will probably have to really flog it to maintain 70mph. Wind it up real good in fourth before you go up to fifth. You won't be able to maintain that speed uphill or into a headwind.

I don't know if GX spokes get loose or busted, but they do on old bicycles - make sure that stuff is all solid - you don't want wheel problems at 70mph.

Good luck - let us know how your ride goes. you probably should have started a new thread instead of highjacking this one,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
SlyFinkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Kind of a quick introduction to a "real" bike. I can't help you too much with the mechanics, but I'm gonna guess the tires could be old. I'd also just check the front brake, the clutch and the two pedals. Pay attention to your mileage - there's no gas gauge. Fill up every 120-140 if you want to be conservative. Make sure you know how to work the reserve switch.
Check the headlight, taillight and turn signals. Be careful you don't accidently leave the parking lights on.
Make sure the mirrors are tight and can be adjusted. Dress properly and don't let your shin (or skin) touch the exhaust.
Check the oil in the glass. Ask them when they changed it last. Have the guy show you how to use the choke - the amount and necessity for it varies.
If it starts, it'll probably run well enough to get home. If they have trouble starting it, you will too - and the battery is easily drained.
Oh, you will probably have to really flog it to maintain 70mph. Wind it up real good in fourth before you go up to fifth. You won't be able to maintain that speed uphill or into a headwind.
I don't know if GX spokes get loose or busted, but they do on old bicycles - make sure that stuff is all solid - you don't want wheel problems at 70mph.
Good luck - let us know how your ride goes. you probably should have started a new thread instead of highjacking this one,
Sorry for the fopar, & appreciate the advice.
Quick pick from where the ride will be starting. AND a 4 day weekend to come home.
http://www.internationalaccommodation.c ... veyBay.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124
Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like a fun weekend. Be sure to pack some water and keep hydrated. Thankfully you have lots of time and can stop and take a break. Also check the tire pressure before you get rolling. Ride Safe.