Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
jamezgreen

Wanted: Black front fender for 02 GZ250

Hi, my fender has a good size crack in the side causing it to shake pretty good on the highway. I've looked to purchase the front fender elsewhere but can't find it on any of the parts sites. If anyone could help out I'd appreciate it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Wanted: Black front fender for 02 GZ250

Can you remove it and repair it with a layer of fiberglass on the inside? Cheaper than a replacement and it you line it up right, may look just as good.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
jamezgreen

that is a great idea actually. I hadn't thought of that. I've never worked with fiberglass before though... is it difficult?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
mrlmd1

Not at all, it can be messy if you don't wear some cheap vinyl gloves.
You can either go to a marine store or to a place like Walmart and pick up a small pack of fiberglass fabric, and a can of resin and hardener (catalyst) which come as a kit. They get mixed together in the correct proportions according to the directions on the can and then you paint it on the fender, wet out or saturate the piece of fabric with the mixture and apply it to the fender surface and smooth out all the air bubbles and paint another thin layer of resin over the fabric and smooth that out too. You have some time to work with the mixture, depending on the temp and the proportion of resin/hardener you mixed, and it will cure solid as a rock in anywhere from 15 min to and hour or two. If you want it stronger, you apply a second layer of mixture and fabric over the top of the first layer while it's still a little tacky. After it all cures, if you want, you can sand it smooth and it should outlast your fender. Do it on the inside of the fender and you'll never see it.
Don't wipe your gloved hands on your pants or you'll never get the hardened resin off your clothes. If you do it neatly, use a disposable brush and mixing can - like a paper cup or plastic container (old margarine or cottage cheese container or similar thing), and disposable cheap brush, and vinyl gloves, it's not really that messy, and you just throw that stuff out after it's all cured. Very simple to do actually, and pretty cheap, and you have all that stuff left over for some other project to repair, metal, wood, some plastics. If you can't find a cheap replacement fender in the color you want, try this. It's easier than trying to repaint a fender and match the color.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
k1w1t1m

I can't speak for Suzukis but Goldwings use ABS plastic. Good repairs can be made by buying some ABS glue from one of the big hardware stores. Buy or obtain a small piece of ABS pipe too. Using a very coarse file grate the pipe and keep the filings, add the glue to the filings and make a "mud" to the desired consistency. V out the crack and carefully apply the mud. Let dry.

Try this carefully in some place that can't be seen as like I said above, I know it will work for Goldwings but not sure about Suzukis.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m
ABS glue ABS pipe
What's ABS? Is it like PVC? :??:
Old 11-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
k1w1t1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m
ABS glue ABS pipe
What's ABS? Is it like PVC? :??:
Yes it's a type of plastic and what they make Goldwing fairings and water pipes with.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
jamezgreen

cool ideas guys. i'll have to hit up the hardware store and give it a shot. since my crack isn't super bad i think this is really gonna save me some $$$. thanks.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
alantf

One little tip - right at the end of the crack. drill a little hole, possibly 1/8", to stop the crack running further along. Although this means that you'll have to paint over the fibreglass that's in the hole. You may or may not want to do this, it's just something I was taught to do with cracks in metal or plastic. :2tup: