Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
GeeZee250

Just Started Riding Again This Year After a Few Decades

I learned to ride about three decades ago on a Honda 350 CL. I then bought a new Suzuki GS550E which was very smooth and quiet. I then had a few close calls but no accident and stopped riding. I am now 53 years old and I wanted to joy ride. I should mention that in my prior riding years I used the bike for everything, including commuting to work. I considered a scooter (for current use). The inexpensive scooters have a low top speed that I would consider dangerous. The scooters capable of 65mph cost way too much. I looked around and saw that the GZ250 was exactly what I wanted and in the right price range if I purchased a used bike. I shopped and waited and got a great deal on a 2002 with under 1500 miles with a new 3/4 Fulmer helmet that fit me perfectly and a jacket with back and arm armor.

So, I am now back on the road, but not for commuting (promised the wife I would not commute). I am having a blast discovering the county that I live in. In my four wheeled vehicle I always took the main roads for the shortest, quickest route. Now I go out of my way to discover what I had always been missing. Google maps helps me a lot, switching between the map and terrain views lets me get a sense of what roads night be more interesting. I am getting 68 mpg so I don't have to worry at all about the cost of a fill up.

Currently, at 230 lbs, I am a little heavy for the bike but it does a great job of hauling my carcass over hills. I like to go out on weekend mornings , leaving at about 7:30am and taking 3 hours or so for riding. I never really appreciated the county I live in until I cruised it on a motorcycle.

My bike is stock. I have a small cloth saddle bag set on the tail and I bought a stick-on clock for $3 from an auto parts store. I check the bike before every ride and I have adjusted the chain tension and checked the front brake pads so far. I have downloaded the service manual from this site (and Thanks for that!) and the parts manual too.

My other hobby is pinball machines and I have a pinball friend that rides a big ol' HD. Well, that's all for now. tahnk you for this resource.
Don

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Just Started Riding Again This Year After a Few Decades

Have fun. Keep your accident free record intact.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome and good to have returning rider on the roads. The GZ will do what it does best. It can and will make a Happy Wanderer out of anyone.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeZee250
but not for commuting (promised the wife I would not commute).
Hi, Don.

What's the problem? (genuine question ) I know I live in a different country, but I use the bike for EVERYTHING. If I use the autopista (freeway?) I just keep in the right hand lane, & let anyone pass me. Also, on normal roads, there's so much traffic congestion that I can get where I'm going much quicker on the bike. Anyway, what do wives know? :whistle: :roll:
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
bonehead

Welcome GeeZee. Same here, I got mine year and a half ago cuz of gas prices. Now I am yearning for a bigger bike like I had back in the 80's. Finances just won't allow it right now. I'm sure once you get back to being comfy on 2 wheels you might find that the GZ is a bit too small for ya. I still enjoy riding it tho'. Just limited on the distance I can travel safely.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
GeeZee250

Thanks for all your replies. I do think that there is a S40 or a Savage in my future.
I like the single cylinder cycles. I am thinking that I will keep my GZ250 even if I
buy another bike. I saw an S40 with 2500 miles on it on Craigslist in Easthampton, NY
for $950. What a deal.... but now is not the right time for bike #2. Still, it's good to know
that there are good deals out there. Right now, my Craftsman air compressor is crapping
out after 30 years of service and I need a new compressor. Who can complain after 30 years? The new Craftsman compressors don't look as strong though, with aluminum piston assemblies. I am thinking of buying a Cambell Hausfeld from Tractor Supply. 60 gal tank, cast iron cylinders, 3hp, good CFM ratings, $400.... looks like a good deal. Take care,
Don
Old 09-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

Hi guy,

We're the same age and I'm also a returning rider after a few years off.

Check out, msgroup.org for a great bunch of safety tips and videos.

The gz is a bit small for your weight I would think, I'm 150, but is a great little scoot
for general use and a better tool for getting back on your game!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
GeeZee250

Actually, the 250 Handles my weight adequately. Before I bought it I asked around and I found several people over 200 lbs. (one person was also 6'1".... that's a lot of person) that said it worked fine for them. I am losing weight but I do not ever expect to be 150! Anything under 200 will do. I have no problem with acceleration or deceleration. Of course, the lighter I am, the more fun I might have. Doc says I have to get lighter and eat better anyway. I'll also spend some time on the pedal bike and I have a very old, very cool, Mac Levy rowing machine to use. I used to row crew in high school.
Don
Old 09-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

Cool! I sometimes take my bride of 33yrs, she's about 125lbs, on the back and the bike
handles us just fine.

The rowing machine may just save your butt one day, it requires a surplus of upper body strength to shove the the right or left bar forward to avoid a loside, even with the bike's tiny weight.

Be well and ride safe bro!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Sarris

Brothers, I'm 6'-1" and weigh every bit of 275 lbs and the old GeeZer handles it without fanfare. Remember that the bike can carry 425 lbs total.

Hell, in the Asian subcontinent market, they put mamasan, papasan, (2) kiddysans, and a cage full of chickensans on it and go to market. The GeeZer is third world transportation at it's finest.

And on top of that, they put a low octane head on it that will run saki, kerosene, deisel, dog piss, and etc. In the Asian subcontinent market they may make 10 hp tops.

If it can handle that, it can handle your ass as well. It may look like you need another one for your other butt cheek, but.............