Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
cspan37421

Allow Myself to Introduce ... Myself

Hi from Chattanooga.

I just acquired a 2007 GZ250. I hope to do some of the maintenance items myself - certainly oil changes, but valve clearances too. I just ordered the valve adjustment tool from my local dealer. I used to have a CB250 and checked those - but got lucky, they didn't need adjustment.

Bringing back my new GZ I found it to be pretty underpowered on the highway, even compared to the CB250. Perhaps this is just the difference between twins and singles, in that the latter trades a bit of its higher end power for some lower end power. OTOH perhaps I need a valve adjustment - who knows.

Anyway I'm sure I'll be posting questions now and then in the various other forums. As background, I have ridden the Dragon and the Cherohala (both on the Nighthawk) and my other prior bikes include a '74 CB200 and a Ninja 500r.

cspan

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Allow Myself to Introduce ... Myself

Welcome. Have at the valves, but I don't think any amount of adjustment will change your opinion of the highway suitability. If you do figure something out, there's quite a few on here that will want to know your secret. You didn't mention why you acquired the GZ....?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspan37421
back my new GZ I found it to be pretty underpowered on the highway,
Hi, cspan

Should've bought the European version :whistle: The carb's set up richer, so it's faster than the American version. O.k., it's no crotch rocket, but it doesn't need the carb mods that the American bikes do. :2tup:

Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I rode the Dragon a couple years ago on a rented KLR 650. I think I would have been better off with a GZ.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
cspan37421

Hello again,

Well, I bought the GZ because I hadn't owned a cruiser before and wanted to try one. Having had a 500 before, I felt it was too much power - so I returned to 250s, even though for me (at 6 foot 1, 175 lbs), a 350 twin would be ideal in terms of power, weight. But of course there's a pretty big gap. The Rebel and Virago 250 just feel too small, the GZ felt roomier. I'd also not had a single before, so I thought that would be worth a try. I did look at the TU and seriously consider it, but I decided a low-mileage GZ might be a better test, plus it's a cruiser. The ergos of TU just lacked novelty for me, and I was keen to try the different styles so I could know what's right for me.

The KLR is a great fit for me, but since I found the 500r too top heavy, I figured the KLR would be even worse in that department, with its huge, high fuel tank.

cspan

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
cspan37421

ps I didn't care for the Dragon. It was just a lot of work. The Cherohala was much more enjoyable.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Sarris

I rode the Dragon, the Hellbender and the Cherohala Skyway last year on my Harley Streetglide.

I was a helluva lot of work and some of the most intense riding I've ever done. Got my Dragons on my side covers.

The Cherohala was the most relaxed ride except for the corkscrew.

Welcome aboard.

:cool:
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I rode the Dragon, the Hellbender and the Cherohala Skyway last year on my Harley Streetglide.
Talking about rides ............... Hey, WW, I was watching a programme (on English tv) last night, called "Billy Connolly at the edge of the world". He's riding all over Canada. One of the things they showed was the Cabot Trail. I think that it was in the NE of Canada, but, anyhow, they said it was one of the top 5 rides in the WORLD! Have you tried it, or is it too far away? The views of it from the helicopter looked good.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The Cabot Trail is many thousands of kilometers away. Think Eastern Canada and I am on the West Coast. Would be a real trip though. Would love to ride there some day. I never thought of it a few years ago when I drove to Newfoundland just to stand on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. So far I have been as far East as possible in Canada(Spear Point Nfld), as far West and as far South(Peele Island in Lake Erie) as one can travel. Don't think I will be able to do the Far North trip though. Have been up to the Yukon Territories but still not close to the real Far North. With the right amount of money anything is possible and a chartered aircraft would be the real deal. There are Northern areas no one has ever walked on or explored. I think I need a winning lottery ticket just to really explore Canada. A pension only goes so far.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
A pension only goes so far.
:plus1: I'm with you on that one! :poorbaby: