Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Moedad and other So Cal riders

Moedad,

I'm thinking of going somewhere Friday or Saturday. Actually I don't much care where I go, but I thought I'd check out the new Angeles Crest Highway that Busy wrote about awhile back. Let me know if you want to meet up. I'm pretty flexible on times, I can even get up early if I have some warning. I was thinking maybe get in a couple of hours or so, stop for some food and head back. Freeways not a problem. Been a while since I've gone more than thirty miles at a crack.

I'm probably still gonna be a little pokey in the curves, not having gotten any practice in for the last three months, but I'll try to keep up.

HAiR sold out every single seat in the thirty show run and then six additional shows in the extension. We had people paying to stand in the back stairs the final weekend. Good reviews from all the local papers. Michael Butler - the original producer on Broadway back in 1970 - came to the show a few weeks ago, as well as Hank from The Office, LA Times, Variety and other theater luminaries. I believe it is the highest grossing show in the 11 year history of the theater. Sucked up all my weekends since late May though, so I'm glad it is over.

-Alan.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Moedad

Re: Moedad and other So Cal riders

I was in Big Bear Monday and Tuesday so I'm playing catch-up at work. I doubt this Friday will work for me--I'll know more by the end of today. Saturday I can do.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Let me know where you want to meet up Saturday. Hopefully the novelty of the thing has worn off by now and it won't be packed - or we can go somewhere else.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Let me know where you want to meet up Saturday. Hopefully the novelty of the thing has worn off by now and it won't be packed - or we can go somewhere else.
If we go relatively early, it won't be as crowded and it'll be cooler. Saturday is supposed to be in the mid-90s. There've been two bikers killed up there in just the last week or so. One on Wednesday I think, and this last Sunday two bikes went head on, cruiser vs. Ducati. Duc rider lost. Or we could go somewhere cooler.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, I rode into work today at about 1ish and it was a hot, hot wind. Plus I stopped before to get my HAiR hair cut and my seat was friggin' hot when I climbed back on. I was thinking it's gonna be sweaty if I wear the full face and the riding pants. Is there a watering hole of some variety out on that thing? I'd vote for a beach ride, but the lights on PCH will kill us. I haven't mapped out the route to ACH, maybe you can pick a place equidistant and I can meet you at 7:30? Or is that too late?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Moedad

Quote:
Yeah, I rode into work today at about 1ish and it was a hot, hot wind. Plus I stopped before to get my HAiR hair cut and my seat was friggin' hot when I climbed back on. I was thinking it's gonna be sweaty if I wear the full face and the riding pants. Is there a watering hole of some variety out on that thing? I'd vote for a beach ride, but the lights on PCH will kill us. I haven't mapped out the route to ACH, maybe you can pick a place equidistant and I can meet you at 7:30? Or is that too late?
If you go in from the west end, Newcombs Ranch is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the ride where it starts in La Canada Flintridge. Not sure what time it opens though. There's pretty much nothing else until you get to Mt. High/Wrightwood, and you probably already know where most of the things are at that end.

I don't think 7:30 is too late. Probably a good place to meet is the 91/5 junction. I'll be in that area tonight and I can pick a location with easy off and on access to the freeway. Busy, if you're checking this thread and you want to come along, you can meet us at the Shell station at the start of the highway in La Canada Flintridge between 8:15 and 8:30 or so.

*Just checked, they're open at 8:00am. They claim to be about in the middle between La Canada and Wrightwood. Feels closer to me.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Okey doke. 91/5 location at 7:30. I can bring my wife's GPS if you want. I went up to Mountain High last year on the GZ, but I was fooled by Google Maps into thinking I could get there on surface street via Upland. That was the one where I was on rte 66 for some of it. Ended up having to backtrack 9 miles in Lisle Canyon or some such when I got to "Sheep Trail" that was actually a trail for sheep. Had to suck it up and go up a good distance on the 15. Took me like 3.5 hours to go up and my neck and ass were not up for 3.5 more so I grew a pair and rode the 15 and the 91 all the way home. My dislike of traffic lights got me over my fear of the freeway.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Moedad

Quote:
Okey doke. 91/5 location at 7:30. I can bring my wife's GPS if you want. I went up to Mountain High last year on the GZ, but I was fooled by Google Maps into thinking I could get there on surface street via Upland. That was the one where I was on rte 66 for some of it. Ended up having to backtrack 9 miles in Lisle Canyon or some such when I got to "Sheep Trail" that was actually a trail for sheep. Had to suck it up and go up a good distance on the 15. Took me like 3.5 hours to go up and my neck and ass were not up for 3.5 more so I grew a pair and rode the 15 and the 91 all the way home. My dislike of traffic lights got me over my fear of the freeway.
Okay, going west on the 91, get off at Magnolia (which is the exit immediately after the interchange with the northbound 5). Turn right (north) on Magnolia and go under the northbound 5 interchange ramp and you'll come to Orangethorpe. There's a Taco Bell on the southeast corner of Magnolia and Orangethorpe for reference. Across Orangethorpe from the Taco Bell is a Burger King. Let's meet in the parking lot of BK. From there, it's an easy on-ramp to the northbound 5 just past Magnolia as we ride west on Orangethorpe. From there we can just cruise up to the 2 and north up to the east 210 for about 30 seconds and get off at the ACH/2 exit to start the official part of the ride. We can stop at the Shell station for gas and see if Busy is there. Anybody else who might meet us there, Alan is on a big black and chrome Stratoliner and I'm on a black Honda Nighthawk with a tailbag. Figure to be there around 8:30-ish.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

See you there. I hope it cools down a little by then. 106 yesterday in Anaheim. Yikes! Over 100 today.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Moedad

Quote:
See you there. I hope it cools down a little by then. 106 yesterday in Anaheim. Yikes! Over 100 today.
It wouldn't be unmanly to wait a week. It's supposed to be 12-15 degrees cooler by next weekend.