Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Midlife51

New Rider - New Bike - Old Man

Never ridden before but recently decided now was the time. Went to a shop and found a 2009 GZ on the showroom floor. The size was right for someone with my lack of experience and I loved the style. So bought it and took it home without first telling my wife. She wasn't thrilled but is still talking to me anyway. Took the MSF safety course last weekend (which I highly recommend) and got offically licensed this week. I'm having a blast on this bike!

Since my bike came without any bells and whistles, I'm interested in what kinds of add ons are available and most popular. For example, possibly a windshield. Didn't think it would be necessary but now that I've ridden some I'm beginning to think it might be a good thing. And some sort of storage probably. Have an office job and have to carry a change of clothes with me when I ride to work. Using a backpack now but would like something else.

I'm having a blast on this bike and looking for any excuse I can to take a ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
alantf

Re: New Rider - New Bike - Old Man

FIRST thing you need is an engine guard. Dunno why they call them this in America, as their primary function is to protect your leg if the bike goes over. A car sideswiped me a coupla months ago. The guard got bent, but my leg was fine. Mine is of a type you can't get in America, but the American guys say DON'T buy the Suzuki guard, because they're too small &,basically, useless

As for luggage, you'll first need a sissy bar/luggage rack combination,then you can fit whatever type of box you want. I've also got saddlebags, but only ever use these for carrying bungie cords, rain gear etc.

If you search the site you'll find plenty of photos of different set ups.

Hey .......... I was so busy answering your question that I forgot to welcome you to the site!

I've had my GZ for over 2 years, & I still ride it more than I drive the car. As for wives - mine wasn't too keen to start with, but now rides everywhere, behind me. In a few months, when you get fully confident, why not take her to choose a helmet, & give her a ride? :2tup:
Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Midlife. Good choice for a newbie. The GZ is an ideal smaller bike and will help to build confidence with the skills you received in the rider training. A windshield is a good choice for more comfort. If you ride during cooler weather you can install Symtec Grip heaters to help keep the hands warmer. Spend some time reading through all the mods members have done and you will get a good idea what is available and what is practicle. A lot of home built stuff can be fun too.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Welcome! You've come to the right place, not only for a GZ owner but for any motorcyclist. These guys really know their stuff.

Alan speaks true about the need for an engine guard and the worthlessness of the Suzuki one. For your windshield, if you really want something that'll make a difference, I'd go bigger than the Spitfire. It'll pop right up when you search for "gz250 windshield", it's the cheapest, and it's nice-looking, but it doesn't deflect a whole lot of wind. Of course, I've heard from some folks that large windshields can hurt acceleration & top speed. Maybe they can chime in with their opinions as well.

After storage, I highly recommend a helmet lock. You can get nice chrome ones for $15-20 that attach to your handlebars. Alternatively, you can get a cheap-o cable lock (bike lock) from the dollar tree to loop through your handlebars or sissybar and D-ring (just make sure it doesn't hang near any hot parts!). They make them in different colors so they'll match your scoot and are nice to have around even if you already have a helmet lock. I use mine for my wife's helmet and also to loop through my jacket sleeve and lock to the bike if I don't feel like carrying it with me.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXorcist
I highly recommend a helmet lock. .
If he wants a box to carry his clothes to work, why not get one big enough to store a helmet etc., when the clothes come out? My SHAD 46 is big enough to get two helmets (3/4) in, plus our jackets. It's also big enough for a week's groceries from the supermarket. The weight doesn't seem to affect the handling in any way.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Midlife51

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. From what you've said and other conversations here, it looks like an engine guard should be first on my list. Then I'll try to get a sissy bar to hang a bag on. That would let me get something to carry gear in and have an excuse to ride to the store to run errands. I ride with a full-face helmet so can get by without a windshield for the time being. Like the looks of the SHAD box you mentioned, Alan, but probably more than I want to invest at the moment. Wife already thinks this is going to be an expensive hobby, which I'm sure it will be, but don't want to tip her off too soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife51
Wife already thinks this is going to be an expensive hobby, which I'm sure it will be, but don't want to tip her off too soon.
After the initial surge it shouldn't be too bad............
UNTIL you go to the shop for a new (whatever) and come back with a new BIKE !!! :roll: