Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
alantf

NEW accident report!

Aint life a bitch!

I've just got the bike back (last week) after having the damage repaired from when the girlie reversed into it & knocked it over.

This morning I was riding through a local town, when I came up behind four cars that were stationary on the highway. I couldn't see why they were stood, so I pulled out & started to overtake them (at walking pace) When I drew level with the first one - a BMW 4x4 - he decided to put his indicator on, & turn left. Only problem is, he didn't bother to look in his mirror, & he turned straight into me. The bike went down.

Damage :- Engine guard badly bent & mangled (but it DID protect the tank & my legs)
Headlight twisted & mangled
Clutch lever & bar ends scuffed
Brake pedal mangled (from where BMW ran over it
Luggage box scuffed
NEW $250 leather coat scuffed on arm
Handlebars bent
Front mudguard scuffed
Orange indicator cover bent & scuffed

I thought that was it, but on the way home my right arm started to stiffen up, & I've found that my right wrist is swollen. Not broken, but I've strapped it up.

Been to the bike shop! Here we go again! Mañana, Mañana!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: NEW accident report!

Similar thing happened to me with a single car at 35 mph and no turn signal. That one crushed my right foot & put me in a wheelchair for 6 months.

You are a lucky man. I'm glad you're not any worse off.

Get her fixed, and feel better soon.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
This morning I was riding through a local town, when I came up behind four cars that were stationary on the highway. I couldn't see why they were stood, so I pulled out & started to overtake them (at walking pace)
In the spirit of using this for a learning experience........
THAT was a big mistake, as the evidence clearly indicates.

One should NEVER pass vehicles stopped or moving very slowly ON A ROADWAY because something is not right and you don't want to get tangled up in it.

Had that lead vehicle making the abrupt turn been a big truck, you might not be here to tell us about it !!! :skull: :skull:

Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Glad you're (mostly) alright. Hope that wrist heals up fast.

Live and learn...in that order.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
burkbuilds

Glad you survived with only minor injuries to yourself and damage to the bike. It's just not worth the risk to try and go around stopped cars no matter how slow you are going. Hope you heal up quickly!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
alantf

Finally!.......... Only one month later! :whistle:

Just got a letter from my insurance company, to say that the other guy's insurance will pay up :2tup:

It's been a fight, but I've had R.A.C.E. (Royal Automobile Club of Spain) of which I'm a member, & my insurance company (part of R.A.C.E.) fighting for me. They've worked on the assumption that whatever the minor details ( :whistle: ) of who's right/wrong as regards road positioning, the guy should have checked his mirror before making a major move, such as turning left.

Went down to the bike shop, only to find that the owner's on holiday, & won't be back until monday. Still, a few more days won't hurt, now that I know I'm going to get all the repairs covered.

Yeah - I know! - I won't do that again! I suppose I was just over confidant after a lot of years of accident free riding. Newbies, please learn from my mistakes!

Just in passing - The only bone I've ever broken in my body was my wrist, when I went over the handlebars on a patch of grit, in my teens.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Hey alantf, glad to hear you will be back on two wheels soon! Good luck with getting the bike back quickly so you can enjoy a wonderful time of the year to be riding.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
Red_bike

Alantf, are you back on the road again?

Duck
Old 06-19-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
alantf

Yes, I've been on the road all the time. The bike shop guy used a piece of scaffolding pole to straighten the handlebars as much as he could. I managed to sort the brake pedal out temporarily, & roughly straighten the headlamp bracket. I also put the old engine guard back on. So - riding like a little old lady - I've been able to use the bike locally. The new parts should be here sometime this week, so (hopefully) It should be back to normal by next week.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
burkbuilds

Good to hear you will be all fixed up soon. That's been a long time getting through all the insurance squabbles hasn't it? By the way, just noticed your subscript about "by birth an Englishman...." around my part of the world we have a similar quote, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!"