Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
puyallupmac

Hi Everyone

I took my motorcycle training course a few weeks ago and bought an '07 GZ 250 today from a gal who lives just a few miles from me. She also told me about this place. So, here I am. Looking forward to reading what everyone has to say and learning about my new bike while I get some miles under my belt. So far I love it. Now if the sun would just come out! LOL

Mac
Puyallup, WA

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Hi Everyone

Welcome, Mac. I love the whole Puyallup area. I have a son in Lewiston and we've been through Puyallup a number of times. And you'll love your GZ!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
fossil

That was me. I got caught up talking with my sister's boyfriend while walking inside the house that I did not get to see you ride away. When I realized that it maybe the last time I see the bike, I ran back out to see you ride off, but you were already gone. I felt sad.

I spent the rest of the day in Renton at the grand opening for the Downtown Harley-Davidson store. There was a band, free food, motorcycle stunt activities, vendors, and lots and lots of bikes. But I kept on thinking about my (okay your) GZ 250 (Hank). I am going to miss the bike.

Today was a good day for riding. I little chilly, but still a good day.

I hope you enjoy the bike.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Mac. You have a great first bike to develop riding skills and confidence. Stick with us and you can't go wrong. A lot of folks grow into another larger bike but still hang around to help out new riders with their smile factor.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Fossil, are you looking for a larger bike now ? If so, what has captured your attention so far ?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
alantf

Hi fossil, Have you got a new bike, or just stopped riding? Funnily enough I'm just off to get a shower, then off to a Harley dealer's open day, about a 40 km ride away in La Laguna (o.k. I know the place name means nothing to you) Don't know about the bands, but I'd love to try out a Sportster.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Fossil, are you looking for a larger bike now ? If so, what has captured your attention so far ?
I bought a 2009 Vulcan 500 back in January. I only have about 300 miles on it now. One thing for sure is that it does not get a good as gas mileage as the GZ 250. It's about 140 lbs. heavier and I can feel that extra weight when I do a few practice swerves.

Here is a pic of me on it for the first time.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
then off to a Harley dealer's open day
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell .............. Never seen so many poseurs in one place at one time! Why do they have to have every square inch of their clothing covered with badges & sewn on thingies that ALL say "Harley Davidson" O.k. one badge with the name, to show what you ride, but not fifty!

When I arrived, all the Harleys were lined up at an angle to the wall. Five minutes later it was twenty Harleys & a GZ. Walked down the line, turned round, & - hey - it looked good. Strangely enough, my black GZ looked as if it was meant to be there! What I noticed, especially, was that I was the only bike there with a luggage box on. Now ..... I use my bike as a workhorse (I automatically head for my bike before the car) but it seemed as though the Harley riders just used them as a hobby. Hell .... If I'd wanted to pick up two packs of beer (48 cans) on my way home - no bother. Not so for the Harley riders.

In the store were bikes at 21,100 euros (around $28,000) My car only cost 10,600 euros! I saw a great retro leather jacket (like The Fonz used to wear) at 518 euros ($650?) Who on earth can afford those prices these days?

As for the bikes themselves - o.k. nice looking - but most of them totally over the top - It's made me realise that when (if!) the time comes for me to upgrade, it's gonna be to either a Suzuki or Honda. Today's open day was enough to put me off Harleys & the culture of the harley riders for life.

When I say (if) the time comes for me to upgrade, I was thinking about that as I rode home down the autopista. I realised that I was cruising at 70 mph, with a bit in hand to occasionally pass vehicles doing the same speed, and, guess what - I WAS ENJOYING THE RIDE - Why do I have to think about trading up when I've got everything I want.No ........... the GZ'll do me fine for a long time yet! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
In the store were bikes at 21,100 euros (around $28,000)
Well Alan if you would not want to spend $28,000 on a new Harley, do realize there is always Craigslist, Harleys galore with prices around $18,000 to $23,000 for 2003 to 2006 Harleys mostly with very low mileage. :chop:

PS oh, and once I can afford it, I'll get me a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Welcome, Mac. I love the whole Puyallup area. I have a son in Lewiston and we've been through Puyallup a number of times. And you'll love your GZ!
Whoops, I meant Pullman in reference to Lewiston, but I've been through Puyallup too and I like that area as well. We have other family in Snohomish up north of Puyallup that we visit sometimes.