Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Orphanclone

Just bought a new (to me) GZ250

Just figured I'd introduce myself, my bike, and maybe pose a few questions.

I am learning how to ride motorcycles and I just recently purchased my first bike, a black 2002 GZ250. I only spent $900 on it, which I'm pretty sure is a good deal, but the bike itself has a few..."character defects" we'll call them. The previous (and to my knowledge, only) owner left the bike outside all the time and was none too kind to it, and it shows: the front seat is patched with Gorilla Tape, the fuel tank has a few dings, the left frame cover is missing, the speedometer cable is cracked (and non-functioning), one of the turn signals is also a fluid reservoir, the front fender is cracked, sprockets look good, but the drive chain looks "aged", and there a few non-essential bolts missing from various places on the bike. Most of these things I can live with, repair myself, or acquire replacements from BikeBandit.com or my local Suzuki dealership.

I'm more concerned with the things that I should look for that I don't know about. For example, it may not strike some people as necessary to change the oil & filter or to clean the air filter or to check and possibly replace the spark plug or to check the brake pads/rotors. What is it that first-time bike owners generally overlook?

There are also two mechanical problems that I need some assistance with. The front tire looks almost new, but the rear tire tread is not acceptable by any standard. I know that the 130/90-15 are not common, but does anyone know of a good place to buy them or manufacturers to stay away from? The other problem is a crack in the viewing window of the front master cylinder. I know this piece cannot be acquired separately from the master cylinder assembly (59600-0AEA0), but it there any place I can get a new (or gently used) one for less than $85-90?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my somewhat lengthy post. If there's anything else I can do, I'd love to contribute.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
music man

Re: Just bought a new (to me) GZ250

First of all welcome to the site. Now that we have that out of the way......... whew where do I start, first, the way the tread looks on a tire on a bike that is 7 years old and mistreated to boot is not the determining factor here, are they showing signs of dry cracking on the sidewall or in the treads, If I were you I would go ahead and assume that those tires are ancient and ditch them (strictly because of the abuse the PO put it through).

Second, if the bike was left in that bad of shape, you need to change the oil & oil filter, spark plug, and air filter right away, and yes check the Brake pads. You did not say how many miles are on the bike, but I would bet that the chain is fried also, although it wouldn't hurt to clean it with kerosene and lube it back up and see what your working with.

And Third even if the engine is in good shape (which at this point I doubt) you are looking at SEVERAL hundred dollars in repairs (not counting tires, which will be a couple of hundred at least,(probably more) after mounting and balancing) you will have at least 1500 (again, probably more) in this bike before you get it to "nice bike" shape again.

Last but not least, that front brake cylinder I would ditch it and just bite the bullet and buy a new one, the front brake on the GZ is essentially the ONLY brake, the back brake is not what you want your life depending on on this bike. And I would flush the crap out of the brake system, because you are probably getting moisture in there from the crack and being left outside. Good luck, you are going to need it.

Oh yea one more thing, I would also assume that the previous owner did not have the valves adjusted or anything else maintenance related, so I would get that checked too, Also (you see how long your list is getting) I would also lube all the cables really good, because you know they have been getting nice and wet.

And even though I kind of perpetuated it further, for future reference if you have any more maintenance type questions, it would probably be better to post them in maintenance or wherever your particular question would fit (not griping, just you will probably get alot more responses quicker that way).
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphanclone
I am learning how to ride motorcycles and I just recently purchased my first bike, a black 2002 GZ250. I only spent $900 on it, which I'm pretty sure is a good deal, but the bike itself has a few..."character defects" we'll call them.
Welcome. Sounds like you have a "project" bike. If the speedometer cable is broken, you don't really know HOW many miles it has on it.

That would be a good price......if it had been well cared for. I don't think I would classify most of the things you mentioned in the "character" category; just plain defects. As you are finding out, parts are available but kind of expensive. In addition to the things you are aware of, the sprockets and chain probably need replacement.

I don't have any experience with used parts so I can't be much help. Located where you are, I think you might have a problem with that anyway. You might check with a local junk yard to see if they are on a national network that includes bikes.

Good luck. I think you are going to need it.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
music man

I didn't even consider that fact that the speedo cable is messed up, your right he would have no way of knowing how many miles it has on it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Hey Orphan, this should cheer you up, I paid $4500 for mine OTD. So you have plenty of room to spend to fix it up.

Plus I've already probably spent 200-300 bucks in service on it.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Orphanclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
If the speedometer cable is broken, you don't really know HOW many miles it has on it.
I realized that the mileage shown may not correspond with actual mileage about the time that I got the bike home and took it off the trailer. Hindsight and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
for future reference if you have any more maintenance type questions, it would probably be better to post them in maintenance or wherever your particular question would fit
I shoulda known better. Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Good luck. I think you are going to need it.
Thanks. I knew this bike was going to take some work, I just didn't know exactly how much.

(And before it's mentioned: Yes, I am aware that the mirrors are different. Must be more of that "character" I keep finding on the bike.)
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
mr. softie

One positive is that learning how to do all the repairs and maintainance on this GZ will stand you in good stead for your entire motorcycling career.

As far as tires go I purchased the Cheng Shin C907 rear available here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories

And the front C906 from the same seller here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories

I bought from this seller and had good service. Make sure you get new tubes and rim strips as well. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Hey I'm about to buy a new Cheng Shin C907 rear tire for my new-to-me GZ. I've never swapped out a tire before; is there a particular tube and set of rim strips I need or can I just go for the cheapest that'll fit? Any recommendations?