Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
alantf

Damage report.

Oh well.............. It had to happen sooner or later!

Parked up this morning outside my daughter's house. Parked facing the kerb, a yard or more behind a car that was parked parallel to the kerb. There was plenty of room for the driver to pull away, round the car in front of him. Stupid me! I hadn't realised that the driver was an empty headed girly who needed three blocks to get her car out. She jumped in the car, & without even checking her mirror, shot back - straight into my bike. Over it went! Luckily a neighbour saw it & called me. Over here, if there's an accident, both parties have to fill in an accident report on the spot, so they cannot change their mind later, if they decide to gloss over the truth. As the neighbour saw it all, the girly couldn't wriggle out of it, & had to admit that it was her fault, so her insurance company will have to pay up.

The damage - Broken brake lever, bent & scratched bar-end block, dented engine protector, scratched exhaust (muffler), scratched luggage box, ignition key a bit stiff in ignition.

The guy at the bike shop is going to get in touch with the insurers on monday (they're closed today, saturday) then photograph the damage & order the parts. Hopefully the bike'll be shinier than it was before, when it's done.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Damage report.

Maybe we need those flags on a stick like on bikes and golfcarts to help the bike be more visible to idiots like that when we park. If you don't notice the bike parked at the curb when you go out to your car, you may not see it over the rear trunk through the rear view mirror. Hopefully you'll get it back like new and pretty quickly.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
mrlmd1

And be thankful to the neighbor who saw it, because the driver was probably oblivious or may have run away from the scene if she did realize what she did.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

If the ignition key is a bit stiff there might have been damage to the steering lock mechanism. Have the shop check it out.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
If the ignition key is a bit stiff there might have been damage to the steering lock mechanism. Have the shop check it out.
Yes, that's what I thought. I mentioned it to the bike shop guy, & he's going to check it when he does the repairs.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Also be sure to have him check that the forks are not bent.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
mrlmd1

After you add up the cost of all those repairs, and the value of your trade-in, maybe you can tell her just to buy you a new bike to pay for her stupidity.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
adrianinflorida

Check for more than just the cosmetic stuff (i.e. bent rims, fork, axles).

Thank goodness for the engine guards, huh?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
alantf

update # 1.

Parked outside the bikeshop this morning (amongst all the other parked bikes) while I went across the street to buy my lottery tickets. The bike shop guy spotted me & said to come in tomorrow morning so he could take the photos for the insurers. (then repairs next week, but this is Spain, so I'll have to take the "mañana" factor into account!)

Thought I'd better go for a long(ish) ride, to see if I could feel any problems with the bike. Did about a 60 km ride along the autopista to Ikea ( side issue - went for a cheapo wall clock for my workshop. Got a "made in China" for 1.75 euros ($2?)) (Ikea is a Scandinavian shop, don't know if you have them in America) Bike behaved perfectly - cruising at about 65 mph with occasional bursts of 75+(120 km/hr+) when passing traffic (yes, the Spanish model IS faster than the American version) Couldn't feel anything different.

All in all, I really think that it's all cosmetic, but I'll still let the guy check. Who knows what he'll "find"(if you get my drift, with the insurance paying)
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

We have Ikea. My experience is, you buy the most expensive crap they have unless you are only planning to decorate a set. If you weigh more than 160 pounds, shop elsewhere.

Good luck with your bike repairs. Glad it's not serious.