Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
nutsnbolts

Hello from New Hampshire!!!

Hello to everyone, and thanks for FINALLY starting a forum for these bikes! My wife and I have owned a 1999 GZ 250 since new, and it now has 12,500 miles on it. While it's a bit small for me as I am 6'3", it is a perfect size for her, and for my sister. I'll be looking forward to doing some mods to it, and I'll keep the board posted as I go along. I've already fabbed a K+N filter intake for it, and I'll post pics a little later. I'll need some help with it, but I'll explain on the appropriate forum page.

Thanks again!!!

-Rich Tremblay,
Weare, NH

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Hello from New Hampshire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts
I've already fabbed a K+N filter intake for it, and I'll post pics a little later. I'll need some help with it, but I'll explain on the appropriate forum page.
Welcome. The more the merrier! :cool:

Have you read through the "mod" threads here yet? If not, you probably should. Decreasing the intake restriction on a GZ is the LAST thing you should do, not the first.

And do you think it is really safe to mess with your WIFE'S bike.....after all this time ??? :poked: :biggrin:
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Moedad

Quote:
thanks for FINALLY starting a forum for these bikes!
Whaddaya mean "finally"?? I found this board last May, but it's been around since August of '06. You just weren't looking hard enough. :poked:

Welcome, Rich!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Welcome Rich. Be prepared for lots of "discussion" re merits of K&N and filters in general. Do you ride it in the winter at all?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
nutsnbolts

Alan:

With winters up here tending to be in the teens during daylight hours, I might take it up the street to keep it running per se, but as long as there's snow on the ground, it's pretty much garage bound.

As far as the mod section goes, I've been reading with great interest all of the things people have tried to get more mph out of these bikes. For us, the mods will be for improved ride-ability on our hilly terrain (going from 70 to 55 at WOT on a grade can be frustrating...). From the way the bike ran with the new intake, I knew that I would have to re-jet, but the needle on my carb wasn't adjustable, and by reading the forum I've found the solution to that. I had already invested in the 16-tooth sprocket, and have yet to throw it on, but I'll be doing that in the spring after the intake work is finished.

As far as any exhaust mod goes, do you guys think that it is necessary with the increase in airflow, and how crazy do I have to get, if at all?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
I had already invested in the 16-tooth sprocket, and have yet to throw it on, but I'll be doing that in the spring after the intake work is finished.

As far as any exhaust mod goes, do you guys think that it is necessary with the increase in airflow, and how crazy do I have to get, if at all?
I have three thoughts:

While I am a strong advocate for the 16T front sprocket, YOU may not be a good candidate for it......because of your comment about loosing speed when climbing hills. Even with carb, intake, exhaust, whatever "performance" mods, the higher gearing will still be a problem under severe load. Since you have the sprocket already, the rest is easy and/or cheap so you might as well give it a try. I spend a LOT more time in 4th with it.

The main reason the little beasty doesn't run up to it's max. potential is that it is set on the LEAN side. You should do the carb. mods FIRST with the stock air filter (which will help tilt it over toward rich) BEFORE you tinker with changing anything else. Then try a less restrictive input. It may not help with the performance but it DOES make extra noise for the rider......which is barely noticeable for anybody else. The paper filter element DOES do a better job filtering than other types of filter media.......despite hype to the contrary.

Consider exhaust changes carefully. If you modify the stock exhaust instead of replacing it, going back can be VERY costly (ie. getting a new set of standard pipes).

Have you read the few posts burried on here somewhere from one or two owners who said after it is all said and done that the tiny performance gained was not worth all the trouble......for them, at least?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
I've been reading with great interest all of the things people have tried to get more mph out of these bikes.
As everyone else on here will tell you, I am the Fountain of Ignorance, but that doesn't stop me from spouting off about things of which I know little. Before you get all mechanical and everything, here's a few tidbits that I can almost guarantee will get you ten mph more:

1) Learn to ride sport bike style when you need speed - esp to defeat wind. Hugging the gas tank and tucking in your knees makes a huge difference at speed. You can get 10mph from this alone.
2) Get to know 4th gear. It may not be the best thing for the bike longevity, but I can assure you the bike will do 65 in fourth, and in more trying conditions than 5th can handle. I only use 5th on flat roads with a speed limit of 55.
3) Experiment with a heavier synthetic oil (Rotella T.) Won't get you much, but a teensy in the high end. Plus it probably won't breakdown or fracture as much with the high revs.
4) Lose weight. Seriously. The fastest riders on here are all skinny chicks. The fat guys with the speed records got them when going down hill (aided by the stronger gravitational pull.)
5) Clean your carb (mine was gunky after a mere 2950 miles.)
6) Inflate your tires - I don't want to get in trouble here but the more you inflate them the faster you'll go, up to a point. Check other posters, and be careful, but I think the consensus is, you can go 10psi more than they recommend. Course that depends on what you have on there I guess.
7) Lube the chain. Not gonna get you much, but if it's rusty, it won't hurt.

I've never tried it myself, but all posts on here (and it's rare where we get unanimity) indicate the 16t gives you more oomph in the low gears at the price of maxing out the top end quicker. Do it if you want quickness, but not for max velocity.

Good luck. I found the most dramatic difference happens when you swap out the entire bike. But it's fun trying!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
As everyone else on here will tell you, I am the Fountain of Ignorance,

1) Learn to ride sport bike style when you need speed - esp to defeat wind. Hugging the gas tank and tucking in your knees makes a huge difference at speed. You can get 10mph from this alone.

6) but I think the consensus is, you can go 10psi more than they recommend. Course that depends on what you have on there I guess.
O' Mr. Douchebag Fountain of Ignorance............ :crackup

Just goes to prove that ignorance is curable, in a lot of cases.

Good information. Just a couple of comments:

1) This works only if you have no (or a very small) windshield. Hooking your heels on the passenger pegs also helps, shield or not. Practice that one at low speed first; the initial cramps can be nasty!

6) +10 psi is probably TOO high. Traction, wear and comfort will be adversely impacted. +5 is probably OK but this gain is gonna be minimal and I prefer "standard" pressures.

P.S. Yes, $5 worth of carb. cleaner would have probably saved you $80 in dealer labor.
It is sometimes hard to distinguish ignorance from stupidity. :poke2:
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

:popcorn: