Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Jruffy

Send a message via MSN to Jruffy
2006 GZ250 resale value?

Does anyone know how much I could get for a '06 gz250 that is in fair condition. (minor damage, it was a starter bike) Thanks, Johnny.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: 2006 GZ250 resale value?

I think it depends a lot in what part of the country you are in. If you were out here, I think you could get close to $2500.

I don't have any first hand experience with Missouri, but from the posts I've seen here, I suspect you are probably looking at closer to $2000. You didn't post the mileage or indicate what the "minor" damage is, two elements that would significantly affect the price. Check Craig's list for 250cc street bikes in your area.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruffy
Does anyone know how much I could get for a '06 gz250 that is in fair condition. (minor damage, it was a starter bike) Thanks, Johnny.
The 3 major "value" publishers all list bikes: Kelly Blue Book, Edmons (sp?) and I forget the other one. They are good for getting a ball-park idea.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Jruffy

It has just over 4,000 miles on it, and I say minor damages such as small scratches on the rear fender and the bottom of the exhaust(I plan on bring it back up to brand new in feb Im just trying to under quote it so I am not disappointed.)
Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruffy
It has just over 4,000 miles on it, and I say minor damages such as small scratches on the rear fender and the bottom of the exhaust(I plan on bring it back up to brand new in feb Im just trying to under quote it so I am not disappointed.)
Not exactly sure where you are going with this but doing anything more elaborate than some polish on the fender and/or some 0000 steel wool and polish on the pipes will NOT get you any more $$$ when it comes time to sell. Most buyers won't even SEE things like that, much less try to get a discount because of it.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Johnny,

As I said above, I'm not sure what the local market conditions are. I think you could have done pretty well back in July as there was a "shortage" of small bikes in the market. The surge in gas prices drove a lot of newbs into the market and around here, they sold out of the 2008 250's early. The few that remained commanded premiums over list. This stiffened the market for used bikes, manyof them selling at not much below the MSRP. I'm not sure when the 2009's arrive, probably some have already, but that will take a lot of pressure off the used market and prices are sure to drop. Plus I've seen gas out here for under 3 bucks a gallon, a sharp drop from the near 5 dollar peak back in July. I suspect a lot of the folks that bought a bike to save money on gas are probably re-thinking their decision - a bike is not an economical car, it's a radical change in transportation and I'd venture to say, one that many people are not particularly suited for. So, those bikes will be in the market too.

Back when I sold used vehicles, it was expected that buyers would offer less than what you were asking. After you do your research on Craig's list and Kelley blue book, pick two numbers, say $2500 and $2300. Advertise it for the first, and take any offers that exceed the second. If you haven't sold a vehicle before, check with the local laws on registration, plates, insurance, junk titles, etc. You don't want to take a bad check, or have the guy get in an accident you end up being financially responsible for. It happens.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Jruffy

I was thinking of just making them toe it off or something. But I will check into it I like that idea about the two numbers, mine will be $2,000 and $1,700. Thank you.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Vehicle sales, registration and insurance rules vary considerably from state to state. In some cases, the plates stay with the vehicle (like here.) In others, with the owner (NY, late 70's.) It's been many years, but I think, in NY, we used to have to mark the titles as "Junk" or "As-is" when we sold used clunkers so there was no recourse if they broke down. The two biggest things to watch out for: Bad checks and no insurance/responsibility. The check thing I'm sure you can figure out - if they write a check, don't give them the bike, the pink slip (if there is one) or the keys, until it clears. The other one, make sure that the financial responsibility for the bike is transferred with the bike. In some states you can do this at the DMV. It's not unusual for someone to take delivery of a vehicle from a private owner, get into an accident, and then have the former owner discover he and his insurance company is still the owner and insured of record. 9 times out of 10 these things don't happen, but you don't want to be #10. Don't let yourself be talked out of doing things by the book either, although this is often a ploy to eliminate paying sales tax (a relatively innocent crime) it is also a hallmark of scammers and check kiters. No cash, no keys, no title, no bike. Time was, you could protect yourself from thieves by asking for a money order or a cashier's check (both still preferable to a personal check) but some of the more inventive low life have found ways to counterfeit those as well. I also would absolutely not allow a "test ride" either, but I'm probably alone on that. If someone wants to see it go, I'll ride it around the block myself. Just my two cents.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Jruffy

Gotcha, I totaly agree I am thinking about having my friend help me he is a frequent ebay motors seller. I was just curious on the prices because there going for like a grand or so.. Not cool in my book.
Johnny.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

alan, regarding the transfer of financial responsibility, I'm under the assumption that, at least here in WV, the moment you sign the title over to the buyer, it is no longer your responsibility. I'm curious how this would work in other states, and/or how signing the title over might not actually transfer complete ownership.