Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
samato

Tank Bag Recommendations & Pics

I want to buy a tank bag for my bike but I'm having a hard time deciding which one. I'd like to see what you guys who have them are using and what you think of them. Brands, models, links, and pics would also be much appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
buck-gz

Tank Bags

Hi,

I have been looking at BikeBandit's web page: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/4985. I have not purchased one yet, but I am considering a nice one because the saddlebags and supports will be twice the cost of a good tank bag.

The magnetic ones appear to be a good fit for the GZ.
"Blood Type A+"
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
samato

Re: Tank Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-gz
Hi,

I have been looking at BikeBandit's web page: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/4985. I have not purchased one yet, but I am considering a nice one because the saddlebags and supports will be twice the cost of a good tank bag.

The magnetic ones appear to be a good fit for the GZ.

I do like that one. I actually checked it out at my local Cycle Gear. This is what I mean about not being able to make up my mind. I like it but then I think "maybe I need one with a clear pouch for a map". Also that cell phone compartment would be perfect for my new iPhone if it had a larger clear area.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Sarris

Tank Bag

AKA Tank Tumors. Just be sure that they fasten tightly and won't scuff your paint!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
I bought this (http://www.newenoughhp.com/closeouts/lu ... k_bag.html) a few weeks ago. I didn't need anything fancy or big... just a place to stash stuff so my pockets weren't bulging. I gotta say, its great for the price. $24 shipped.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
LilNinja77

I use an older Joe Rocket Blaster model tankbag, that a friend gave to me. After having a tankbag, I don't think I could go back to riding without one.....they are just the most convenient and useful little things to slap on. A lot of them come with shoulder straps so you can wear it like a small back-pack when you're off the bike, which is a big advantage over saddle bags when you don't have a ton of stuff to carry IMO. Really, you can get them at any size and price you want, just look around and find out what you want. A rain cover is a nice thing to have, as is a nice large clear pocket for maps or other things.

Make sure to check that the bottom of the tankbag is clean before putting it on the bike, it would suck to have sand or dirt on it and scratch your tank all up. Also, don't leave one on for too long (like weeks on end) without taking it off and wiping things down every once in a while, dirt and grit can get trapped under there and make things ugly.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
RichInFla

Re: Tank Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by samato
I do like that one. I actually checked it out at my local Cycle Gear. This is what I mean about not being able to make up my mind. I like it but then I think "maybe I need one with a clear pouch for a map". Also that cell phone compartment would be perfect for my new iPhone if it had a larger clear area.
I ordered one from my local Cycle Gear, but they said they are on backorder until the end of August. I tested one at the shop (right before some guy bought it, it was black and I wanted red), and it took a whole lot of effort for the guy to even get it off the counter. It comes off a little easier if you pull up on the magnets, but he said this one "aint goin' nowhere", and I pretty much believe it. Tried it on mine, and it fit nice, just it covers the gas cap. Now that I have a jacket, my cigs (uh-oh), phone and wallet fit nicely in the pockets. Still trying to decide if I want to get it, but it's a nice bag for little stuff.

Oh yeah, the guy at Cycle Gear showed me how the "rays" (magnet flaps) that hold it on flip inside and it becomes an "over-the-shoulder" bag where the magnets are tucked into the back...kinda cool....